Chapter 2- The Exam

Naoko sat in the testing hall, bored out of her mind as she waited for the announcer guy to start explaining the physical part of the exam, she had finished her test easily, except for the history section... that part kicked her butt, and now all she had to do was hype herself up enough that her crappy stamina would get her a good score in whatever was waiting for her.

As she waited, she glanced around the room at the random assortment of kids that were gathered, it was impressive to see the talent that radiated from all of them, but she knew that only a small handful could get into the hero course, let alone the coveted class 1-A. Unconsciously, her hand moved to her other wrist, running her fingers over the sweatband that covered the sensitive skin; she was competing against these kids for her parents and her aunt, there was no way she would let any of them keep her from her goal.

Suddenly, the air around her started vibrating at crazy speeds and Naoko's attention shot to the front where the announcer was yelling a welcome that she struggled to read. Because of her situation, the teachers agreed to sit her in front so that she could read what people of importance were saying (Telling the staff about her hearing was a battle in and of itself, it seemed like several of the teachers wanted to turn her away, but the sweet mouse of a principle had insisted that they do whatever was needed to help Naoko get the information she needed); but the way he was speaking was so different than what she dealt with usually. She had the hardest time reading one or two words out of every sentence he spoke.

Thankfully, they had given her a pamphlet, and she turned to it, smiling as she saw that all she needed to do was beat up some robots. Considering her quirk, this would be a piece of cake; just liquify them or cause them to sink into quick cement, and she would be good to go.

Hopefully, the principle honored her request to not tell the judges about her hearing, she wanted them to let her in because they were impressed with her skills, not because of how she handled her disadvantages. Her being deaf was no different than if she had bad eyesight, it was just something to be lived with, and she would prove that fact to the world.

Judging Room

The judges watched their monitors as the children fought the robots during their practical exam, "There are many promising quirks in the mix, aren't there?" One man commented, making a note on the evaluation sheet.

"Indeed," A woman replied, "Though several seem to be far more skilled than others." At her words, everyone looked towards the screen of whatever child grabbed their interest.

Some looked towards a screen that showed a boy with a raven's head taking out every robot he saw with the shadow beast coming from him; other's gazes were immediately drawn to the screen of a girl who was taking out robots quickly and efficiently by lifting them in the air, and then dropping them to the ground. Though the screen that commanded the most attention by far was the one that held a spikey blond-haired boy who was going through robots like they were nothing; his explosive quirk was perfect for this test, though it did seem that he was having a little too much fun blowing the robots up...

Right as he was about to punch through another, his target suddenly stopped moving and melted into a puddle on the ground, causing a round of gasps to echo through the room.

"Did anyone see who was responsible for that?" Someone said, excitement lacing his tone, "That was amazing!"

A chorus of confused 'no's responded as everyone began to search for the culprit.

In the back of the room, the principal was watching the third monitor to the right in amusement while drinking his tea, "I see she lived up to her promise." He said lightly, causing the dark-haired man, who looked like he was half asleep, to glance sideways at him.