Party Ninety-Four

Start from the beginning

Looking down he took a shaky breath, his legs noticeably shaking with nerves before continuing, “I don’t mind spending every day, out on your corner in the pouring rain! Look for the girl with the broken smile, ask her if she’d like to stay awhile!”

Glancing around the room, and finding everyone staring at him like he’d lost his mind, he squeezed his eyes shot, and carried on, “And she will, be loved. And she will be loved.”

Still utterly confused, everyone continued to watch him as he continued to sing, climbing down from his perch on the table as he neared the end of the song, walking towards our table, then making his way around until he stopped in front of Jess, kneeling down in front of her.

“…Please don’t try to so hard to make me say goodbye…”

Finishing, he hung his hands limply at his sides, “I um…crap, the flowers, one second.”

Setting down the guitar, he jogged over to the other table and retrieving the flowers, jogged back, kneeling in front of her once again.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Jess,” he said slowly, “I am a fucking idiot, I fuck a lot of shit up, ask anyone. I mean, I treat Luke like shit, Calum like a dog, my sister like a metaphorical punching bag of the time, I…. I can be a real ass. But you… you make me remember before…. You make the real me come out. The caring, kind, happy, nice me. And….. I hate myself for what I said to you, it was disgusting, I’ve been awake every night since, crying like a little bitch because I was so utterly repulsed by how much of an absolute monster I was.”

Taking a breath, he licked his lips before continuing, “I…. I have nothing against you Jess, or what you were, I just…. I… I used to have a girlfriend, and… I loved her, more than I’ve ever loved anyone else, I never found anyone who could even compare to her, until I met you. But um… my girlfriend, she died…. In a car accident and the person that hit her, it was a girl and she…. She wasn’t always. And so when you told me, all I could think about was her and how she took away the best thing that ever happened to me and I’m so sorry I took it out on you. I am begging you, to forgive me, I don’t accept you to, I wouldn’t if I were you, because I’ll never forgive myself. But if you give me the chance, I will love you. I’ll be the prince charming you dreamed about since you were a little girl, because you deserve one. I honestly don’t deserve you and I know that, but if you let me, I’ll make you feel like the princess you were always meant to be.

“Oh my God, why are my eyes leaking?” Luke hissed, taking my napkin and wiping his eyes.

“Michael… I don’t know what to say.” Jess said, sounding choked up.

“Don’t say anything,” he replied, cupping her face gently and kissing her softly.

“Damn,” Harry whispered, dabbing at his eyes, “That lil shit knows what he’s doing.”

Pulling away, Jess wiped her eyes, “You don’t know how long,” she said shakily, “I’ve been dreaming about hearing those words.”

“So is that a yes?” Michael asked.

“What are you asking?” she questioned.

Reaching into his pocket Michael pulled out a guitar pick on a chain, with the words ‘YOU COMPLETE MEss’ written on the back.

“Will you be my girlfriend?” he asked.

“Really?” Jess cried, “Do you mean it?”

“Yeah,” he chuckled, “I found you and I never wanna let you go. So what do you say, will you give us a try?”