Chapter 46 - Nicolae's strange behavior

Start from the beginning

I wave my hands arousing the grass beside us, it wraps his fists, getting him by surprise, and I pinned him on the ground. Nicolae isn't happy at all, and he's becoming darker and more threatening. He's infuriated now. I run inside the manor, climb the stairs two by two, rush into my bedroom, and I lock the door before Nicolae can break free from the trap. I slide my back against the door, till I sit on the floor. I bend my legs, and I hold them tight. I'm in a fetal position, and I start sobbing. I'm so scared!

It seems that my fears from the first day, when I know that I was at the bat's den, can become true. I don't feel safe anymore in being at the manor with Viktor Bartholy so close. I have a sample of how Nicolae can behave in his presence, and it's a completely different Nicolae from that I know. The always gentle and paternalistic vampire gives space to a wild and aggressive one. He has shifted from his Light side of the Force to the Dark one. And I'm sure he is able to hurt me.

I stand up, and I push my study desk to block the door as if it would impede a vampire to enter my room... But I feel safer like this. Then, I lay on my bed. I feel asleep fast because I'm too tired and these overwhelming emotions have drained me.

This hectic day gives me nightmares! I'm in the Principal's office, but the Principal is Nicolae, and he isn't happy. He's showing me his fangs, ready to jump on my jugular. He stands from his armchair, walks into my direction, makes a hand-shift ponytail in my hair, and tug it unceremoniously, making my neck available to his bite. But, before Nicolae can do it, a huge black wolf comes inside the office and starts fighting with the vampire. Then, I can see a Navajo Medicine Man sitting beside me proud of himself.

Navajo: That's my boy! All Navajo warriors have a soul of a wolf.

I wake up soaked in sweat. I'm trembling and breathing short. I head to the bathroom to take a warm shower to calm my nerves down. Nicolae aggressiveness and coldness troubles me. He's showing me a side that I didn't know he had and I'm scared to death with this new Nicolae.

"Perhaps I should move. But to where? And my tasks with Lorie and in the office?"

I turn off the faucet.

" I'll think about this tomorrow..."

I dry myself, wear other pajamas, and I go to sleep again. I'm so tired! This time, no more nightmares.

***

The alarm clock says that it's time to get up. I'm moody because of the nightmares, and I have a headache. I can't handle the sunlight. I dress my uniform, remove my study table from behind the door, and I head to Lorie's room to wake up that little demon.

"Is she as wilder as Nicolae was yesterday?"

I'm apprehensive. More questions wander through my mind while I cross the corridor.

"What is waiting for me at her room? Is it a good idea to let her go to the school?"

I take a deep breath before opening the door. I'm not surprised in finding Nicolae there, in the father's role, combing Lorie's long pink hair. He seems gloomy and sad, and Lorie looks thrilled.

Lorie: Khawla, do you know that my father is coming home?

Oh, well! That's the reason for her excitement. Small kids always crave for the presence of their parents. Even if they're vampires. At least, someone is happy that Viktor Bartholy is coming home.

Khawla: Yes. I know, dear. Nicolae told me yesterday.

I conceal the part that he told me so while he was pinning me against a tree, and only God knows what debaucheries he was about to do with me last night. Lorie continues in her enthusiastic tone.