Chapter 20 - Nicolae flirts with me

I'm back to the manor. I take another cold shower trying to recover from my hangover. I let the water runs onto my body while I lean against the wall. I'm feeling so miserable! I've never had a hangover so intense like that before! I think mixing painkillers and alcohol is more than what my druidess healing abilities can handle. I close the water, and I go almost crawling to my bedroom to get dressed and to go to the dining room, although I'm not feeling like eating because my stomach is still upside down.

Nicolae is already sat on the table, waiting for me. As soon as he spots me, he notices how unwell I am. He has this paternalistic tone of voice that is so characteristic of him.

Nicolae: Khawla, take the day off. We'll have work during the weekend.

I nod and go back to my room to sleep without eating anything, and it makes Nicolae even more worried.

***

I wake up only in the next day, at dawn, when Nicolae comes and knocks at my door. We're going to a neighboring city for business. We're going to visit a construction site, and we're having many meetings as well.

Nicolae is driving, of course! He wouldn't let me drive after the last events. My car is at the garage fixing, and I don't think he'll give me the key back any time sooner. I'm bored to death! Nicolae is a conscious driver. He doesn't speed once, and the way seems endless.

Every five minutes I glance at my phone to check for messages. Nicolae doesn't miss me and my anxiety.

Nicolae: I think it's too early.

I look at him puzzled. What's he talking about?

Khawla: Too early for what, Nicolae?

Nicolae: For text messages.

Don't need to be a mind-reader to know that I'm expecting Sebastian texts me. I let out a long resigned sigh.

After two hours of driving, we arrive in the city, and we go straight to the construction site of a huge commercial building. Nicolae greets some people that are using PPE and gets a helmet to him and handovers me one. He asks me to wait while he goes with them. He studies a blueprint with some engineers that are working on the project and gives some instructions. I'm observing how Nicolae is experienced in this field. He seems to know and control everything perfectly. For sure, he's Viktor's right hand in his business in Mystery Spell and neighboring cities.

My phone beeps and I rush to grab it. It's a text message from Sebastian! My heart skips a beat!

[Good morning! I hope you're feeling better.]

I smile broadly and rush to answer him

[Good morning! I'm fine. Thanks. And you?]

I don't have to wait much.

[I'm fine too. Are you behaving well today?]

I laugh out loud. Nicolae looks puzzled at me.

[It's the only option left, as I'm with Nicolae in a neighboring city... working!]

He's fast in answering me.

[You didn't tell me you're going to be out of town.]

I raise an enquiring eyebrow. Is Sebastian trying to control my steps?

[I didn't know before. I was only informed in the afternoon.]

My phone beeps.

[Anyways, it comforts me that you're with Nicolae and he won't let you do anything stupid.]