Chapter 33 - Wildness in the forest

I head straight to my bedroom to change clothes. I'm so happy because of Sebastian that I forget all my worries: no panel on Friday or Viktor Bartholy are in my mind. I can only remember our afternoon of love. I can still feel Sebastian's body against mine, his kisses, his savageness... I let out a sigh already missing him.

When I arrive at the office, Nicolae receives me with an ironic air.

Nicolae: Good afternoon, Khawla. I'm surprised in seeing you here so early. I thought Professor Jones would free his hostage only in a couple of days.

And he burst into laughter while I get as red as a beetroot. Nicolae doesn't need to know about my sexual life... It's very embarrassing! I try to answer him back in the most neutral tone of voice I can pretend, although I'm feeling completely uncomfortable with the situation.

Khawla: He knows I have work to do and I'm already going with him to a conference on the weekend.

Nicolae nods keeping his irony in his face, and I go to my desk without facing him. I'm so embarrassed, and he can feel my happiness. It's stamped in my forehead. You don't need to be a mind-reader to know what happened between Sebastian and me.

I'm so enthusiastic and glad that I'm working in a faster pace. Nicolae is pleased in seeing me in such state of mind. In no time, I finish the last box of old documents. Nicolae is surprised with my fastness. I was almost as fast as a vampire... Well... Who do I want to deceive? I was far from being as fast as a vampire, but I was fast enough to finish ahead of the deadline, even with so many problems I had since my arrival in Mystery Spell.

Nicolae: Nice that you've finished all the boxes! I thought you needed more two weeks at least... Great job, Khawla!

Khawla: Thank you, Nicolae.

Nicolae: So, you're free from your office tasks till Monday, when I'll give new instructions. Take this time to prepare yourself for the panel and the conference.

"Damn panel! I was forgetting it!"

Khawla: Good night, Nicolae.

Nicolae: Good night, my child.

I head to my room to start that damn panel that Sebastian enrolled me against my will and my good mood begins to vanish. I like to keep my ghosts sleeping and, when they wake up, I go to drink to make them sleep again. Now, I have to face them all sober. No time to indulge myself in self-pity and in the alcohol to forget my endless pain. I think I'll get nuts!

I'm collecting the material that I'll work on tomorrow to make the presentation. I've decided to speak about the most common drugs the youths are using nowadays and warn them how bad they affect the body in short and long terms. I choose to talk about alcohol, marijuana, and ecstasy. No time to talk about others although it's very important this awareness work that Sebastian wants me, the lost soul, to do. Does he really believe it'll have an impact on me? I think it's his idea.

I turn to my Goldfish that is staring at me curiously. I give it some food, and it eats greedily.

Khawla: Hey! Cool down, or you're going to become a puffer fish!

I laugh alone with my childish joke. I hear a howl, and I look at my clock. It's already midnight! I was so focusing on collecting data for my presentation that I've forgotten the time. I turn back to my Goldfish.

Khawla: Oops... I think I'm in trouble now. Sebastian doesn't like lateness...

Fish: ...