~Him~

"Her mother was here yesterday, I'm really worried about her. I think she has had too much at the same time and I don't know what to do. She had one really, really bad nightmare like an hour ago. I think she's like drowning in all of this." Jughead quietly said, scared he would wake her up. He watched her sleep, what else was he supposed to do? If something were to happen, if she had another nightmare, what was he supposed to do? Leave her alone? Let her face her own nightmares?
"Maybe it's time for her to move home? Back to the her mom and dad?" Veronica said. Jughead scoffed.
"Her dad left and her mom cursed her out yesterday." Jughead leaned back in his chair and pinched his nose. "I just can't believe her whole entire life fell apart the second I stepped in." He sighed.
"I can't believe you called me for advice." Jughead could hear Veronica smirk.
"Well, you know her the best." He mumbled. "What am I supposed to do with her? She deserves the entire world and all I give her is more pain."
"No, you don't. I don't think you get it Jughead." Veronica sighed. "When Betty first met you...I have never seen her that happy. The way her eyes lit up when she talked about you...I have never seen that before." Veronica explained. Jughead cleared his throat.
"Have you seen that in her the past few weeks? Because I haven't. She is broken Veronica. And all because of me." Jughead mumbled. "I helped her sister escape. And now she's dead. I helped her when her mom was a little mean and she turned into the biggest monster ever."
"I know you already know this and that you don't want to hear this, but Jughead, Alice is hurting too. She lost her daughter."
"I know. But then why would she treat Betty the way she is?"
"You really are one stupid fuck." Veronica whispered and Jughead rolled his eyes. "She is pushing Betty away because she is afraid to lose her too. And she thinks that if she pushes her away it'll hurt less if she leaves." Jughead thought about what Veronica had said for a second. Knew that she was right.
"I know." He said. Because he knew, he understood why Betty's mom was acting like that. "But why does she have to be so mean? Alice is breaking her. I saw it yesterday, for every insult her mom said Betty fell apart a little more. I don't know how much more she can take. And I don't know what to do." Jughead sighed. He didn't know how to handle it. How to handle Betty. "I want to give her everything...but I can't." He whispered.
"I know Jughead. But just be there for her. That's all anyone could really ask for. She needs you to just be there, to listen, to hold her. She is not asking for much more." Jughead nodded. "She loves you Jughead."
"I love her too." He mumbled.
"We just have to help her through this, because she will. She is so strong, all she needs is someone to lean on." Jughead lifted his head and stared at the roof for a few seconds before closing his eyes and sighing.
"I want to give her everything." Jughead whispered.
"I know, Jughead. So do I. But there's only so much we can do." Jughead nodded.
"Thank you." He said.
"Don't thank me. We are all doing what we can to help her." Veronica mumbled. "Is she coming to school on Monday?" Jughead looked over at Betty. She was covered in his duvet, sleeping silently. She made small noises from time to time. They sounded like a hurt animal. Like she was hurting, broken. Which wasn't that far from the truth.
"I don't know. I hope so but it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't. And if she's not there then I won't be either." Veronica laughed.
"Of course."
"Shut up." He sighed.
"I have to go to sleep now. Goodnight." Veronica said.
"Goodnight Veronica." Jughead said and hung up the phone with a big sigh.

He had to go to the bathroom before he went to sleep but didn't want to leave Betty alone. He looked at her, observed her, made sure she was okay. And when he was certain he walked to the bathroom to do what he had to do. When he washed his hands he heard a scream that made his blood freeze. He rushed into the bedroom. Betty screamed her lungs out and tried to untangle herself from the duvet. Jughead ran to her side, sat down beside her and shook her carefully.
"Betty, Betty!" He yelled. But she didn't wake up. "Betts!" Still no response. She kept screaming. He lifted her up and put her in his arms. Forced her arms to slow down and she eventually opened her eyes. And when she did she looked disoriented. For a second she looked at Jughead as if she didn't know who he was. "Sch, I'm here now." He whispered calmingly. "It's okay. You're okay." Betty's eyes teared up.
"I'm sorry." She whispered. "Did I wake you up?" Jughead placed his forehead against hers.
"No, no. I was already awake." He mumbled. His heart was racing and his breathing was rapid. Jughead looked at Betty's blue eyes and he could've sworn their color was turning more and more grey for every disaster that happened. Jughead kissed her slowly.
"Are you okay?" He finally said and Betty nodded. "You sure?" She nodded again. But her eyes didn't focus on him, weren't bright. They were focused on something else. She wast here but she wasn't there. He looked at her shievering lips. "Hey." He whispered when he saw tears in her eyes. "Hey, look at me." And she did.
"I'm sorry. I should be stronger than this." She mumbled. Jughead shook his head.
"No, you are strong, Betty. But that doesn't mean it's not okay to fall apart sometimes." When those words left his mouth Betty started crying uncontrollably. Jughead lied down beside her and put her arms around her. She rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes.
"Don't leave me." She said quietly. He looked at her and kissed her head.
"Never." He whispered back.