~Her~

S

Betty cleaned up the kitchen as she imagined Jughead coming back through the door again. Rushing to her arms. Kissing her and apologizing. Then she would apologize too. Tell him that she still loved him. But he didn't. He never came back. And she was fed up. With a big sigh she walked in to the living room.

"How about we watch a movie?" Betty asked and Polly smiled and nodded.
"Yes." She looked through Netflix a few minutes. "The Kissing Booth?" Horrible movie that reminded her of Jughead. She shook her head and scoffed.
"I saw it with Jughead. It sucks." It really didn't. She kind of liked it. But she would never admit it. But she was not ready to watch it again, not without Jughead. Damn it. She really really missed him. Maybe just one text?
Just come back and we can talk about this all?
But she quickly erased it and closed her phone. Damn she really liked him. But if he couldn't behave she didn't want anything to do with him. And after all, he was a Serpent. It was for the best that he left.

Her ringtone cut the silence and she rushed to her phone. His name made her heart jump but she knew she had to be stronger. She couldn't just jump right back to him. He would have to work. Hard. She was about to press the green button when her finger moved and she touched the red one. His name disappeared and she sighed. A deep, longing sigh. Maybe they would work. If she just called him?

The morning after she woke up with a headache. She walked in the shower and took a long one. She let the hot water force her to forget Jughead. It didn't work. But she pretended. She knew she had overreacted and she was ashamed for it. But he hadn't been the nicest either. He had called her twelve times during the night and she was exhausted. She had ignored every last call. Even though she wanted to answer them all. She wished that he would show up, just sit on her porch, waiting for her. Apologizing. But he probably had other things to do. She sighed as she put her hair in a perfect ponytail. She curled the ends and stared at herself in the mirror. She looked so...boring with the same ponytail and the same grey shirt with white collars and jeans. She let out her hair and roughed it up. She looked...hot? She put on red lipstick and a blue shirt that showed a little too much skin that she had found in Polly's closet. She kept her jeans and smiled at the mirror. She wasn't even near as hot as Veronica or Cheryl. But she looked...better. She tried her best to give the mirror a hot look but scoffed when she realized how stupid she was acting. She walked downstairs and found Polly sitting on the couch staring right in front of her.
"Polly?" Betty said and Polly quickly wiped away her tears and looked at Betty. "Are you okay?" Polly eyed Betty and gave her a smile.
"You look amazing." She said, ignoring Betty's question. Betty didn't want to push her so she smiled and looked at her feet.
"Thank you."

Someone knocked at the door and Betty rushed to it. Praying that Jughead would be on the other side. She opened it and her eyes met Archie's.
"Hi." She said a little disappointed at the sight of him. He stared at her and bit his lip. Betty felt powerful.
"Walk me to school?" He finally asked and she gave a slight smile.
"That's my line." She giggled and referred to all the times she had asked him the same question. But she got her bag and walked outside the house. "I'll be home by lunch!" Betty shouted to Polly and closed the door.
"By lunch?" Archie asked and Betty locked the huge door.
"Yeah, I promised to eat lunch with her." Betty said and they started to walk.
"Have you worked on the biology project?" Betty laughed.
"Have I...no." She was ashamed of that too. But it wasn't a hard assignment. And she could do it in like two hours. And the teacher loved her.
"He really changed you." Archie mumbled and Betty stared at him.
"What?"
"Jughead." Betty rolled her eyes and they were quiet the rest of the walk.

"B!" Veronica shouted and Betty gave her a slight smile. Veronica however didn't smile. Betty walked closer and tried her best not to look and act as tired as she was. "What the hell?" She yelled when Betty came closer. Betty rose her eyebrows and tried to figure out why Veronica looked so mad.
"What?" Betty asked as she rubbed her eye.
"Your boyfriend threatened my dad yesterday." Veronica almost spat out the words. "Don't come here pretending you didn't know." Betty sighed.
"I...I actually didn't know. I'm...sorry. Are you okay?" Betty asked.
"Yeah. That girl Toni was nice and all. But what the hell betty. How can you let him do that?"
"We're not together anymore. I think. We fought last night." Betty watched as Veronica scoffed and walked away. She sighed and went to Jughead's Instagram page. He had just posted a pic of Toni, Fangs, Sweet Pea and a girl Betty didn't recognize. Her hair was bright red and curly. She was beautiful, skinny. Betty sighed and was about to Like the post when she saw a comment.
You look so hot babe
Her heart dropped as she read the comment over and over again. She clicked on the name and saw the same red headed girl. Her name was Melanie. And Betty was determined to never talk to Jughead again. He had played her.

Betty walked inside the huge school building and once again found her sitting in the far back of biology. She rolled her eyes as the teacher stumbled inside with a coffee mug. Even though Betty was with thirty other people she felt so alone. All she wanted was to go home for lunch with her sister. Maybe she should talk about Jughead? Tell her what's going on.

As the bell finally rang Betty quickly packed up her stuff. She had texted Polly a few times asking if she should bring burgers from Pop's but hadn't got an answer. She rolled her eyes when she checked her phone and still hadn't gotten an answer. She hurried back home and decided they would eat left overs from yesterday. The burgers she had made to her and Jug. As she touched the door handle a sudden feeling of fear spread through her body. She tried to shake it off as she went inside.
"Polly! I'm home!" No response. Betty scoffed at her sister's rudeness as she walked into the kitchen. She started to heat up the meat and placed two buns on two plates. She cut cucumber, salad and tomatoes into small coins. When the food was ready Betty shouted.
"Polly, the food is ready!" She sat down and waited for Polly to come downstairs. But she didn't.

Betty sighed and walked upstairs.
"Damn it Polly." Betty said and knocked on her door. Still no response. As she opened the door the same feeling of intense fear filled her as when she walked inside the house. Something was wrong. "Polly?" Her voice was weak as she entered the room. She breathed out when she saw Polly sleeping on her bed. "Damn, you really scared me." Betty laughed as she walked closer to the bed. She shrugged Polly's shoulder and realized she was cold. "Polly?" She whispered. No response. Betty quickly looked around and found pills laying on the nightstand. "No, no, no, no." Betty shrugged Polly harder. "Wake up." She whispered as she crawled into the bed and rested her head on Polly's chest. Nothing. Not a single heart beat. "No." She screamed. And she kept screaming.

When her screams turned into loud sobs she lied down beside her sister. Placing her head once again on her cold chest. She knew that even if she called 9-1-1 it was already too late. She had been gone for too long. Betty grasped the black dress Polly was wearing and sobbed. Usually Betty would hear her mom call her out for crying. Especially with mascara on.

She  closed her eyes and pretended she could hear Polly's heart beat. That she just walked upstairs and she was sleeping. Not find this. Her sister, cold, dead, gone, was not supposed to be found like this. It's not fair. It's so not fair. Betty's head hurt almost as much as her heart. How could she ever let this happen? Betty hated herself for this.

She cried herself to sleep.

How was she supposed to ever recover from this? She...she should've taken the day off. She should've called Polly the second she got to school. She should've hugged her goodbye. She shouldn't have helped her escape.