IGM Hospital, Malé

Taking a deep breath, Daniel took a step into the hospital building, waiting for the sliding doors to open and allow him to enter. He looked around briefly, then steered towards the reception desk.

"Emily Thorne ... I mean ... Emily Grayson is supposed to be at your hospital ward. I'm Daniel Grayson, her husband," he introduced himself.

The young receptionist looked into the computer and nodded. "You are already expected. Please, take a seat!" She pointed to a free chair, which was right next to the reception desk. "I'll let Dr. Kulani know that you're here." She reached for the phone and pushed a button. "Mr. Grayson is here now," she said in a matter-of-fact-tone.

Daniel looked around in confusion, wondering if it was normal for a visitor to be greeted by the doctor personally.

"Mr. Grayson?"

He looked up, into the face of a tall, dark-skinned man, probably of Indian origin. "Dr. Kulani, right?"

The doctor nodded. "Would you follow me, please?"

Daniel followed the doctor, first into the elevator, then further across a long corridor until they stopped at a door.

"Please," Dr. Kulani opened the door and made a welcoming gesture. "Have a seat!"

A little unsure about this kind of greeting, he took a seat.

"You're probably wondering why I want to talk to you first before you can see your wife," the doctor said. "But in this case it's imperative."

Daniel felt his hands getting sweaty. What had the police officers withhold? Was Emily's condition worse than he assumed? "How is my wife?" He asked.

Dr. Kulani leaned back in his chair and folded his hands in front of his chest. "Well, I can't give you the reply good or bad," he said. "Let me phrase it that way ... She was very lucky. She had more than one guardian angel." He smiled. "What I'm trying to say is that her physical wounds will surely heal soon. But at this point I can't make any predictions about her mental state."

Daniel swallowed a lump that had formed. "What does that mean?" He asked cautiously.

Dr. Kulani cleared his throat before continuing. "The medical terminology is 'Retrograde Amnesia'. In fact, it means, that your wife can't remember anything what happened before or during the terrible incident."

"You mean, she can't remember anything at all ...?"

Dr. Kulani nodded. "It's exactly like that. Her past is practically extinguished. Just like the day she was shot."

Daniel waited for the feeling of relief, but instead he felt guilt. "She won't even remember me?"

The doctor looked at him sympathetically. "I'm sorry, Mr. Grayson. I know how difficult this situation must be for you. But also take in consideration how your wife must be feeling about it."

"And ... and her injuries?" He asked hesitantly. "How bad are they?"

"Well, the bullet didn't hit any vital organs, fortunately. But she lost a lot of blood," Dr. Kulani informed. "In addition, she had a laceration on her head, which we don't know where she had got it."

"So she's going to get well again?"

"I can guarantee that." Dr. Kulani nodded. "Of course there will be scars, inside and outside, but she will make a full recovery."

"And will she ever regain her memory?"

"There is no guarantee. Amnesia is a disease with many faces. I have already explained to your wife that there are cases where the patients get back their memory completely. But unfortunately there are also enough examples where this is not the case. These patients have only the present and the future. Some of them suffer from the loss of their past, others simply accept it and live a normal life." He looked at Daniel thoughtfully. "I firmly believe that your wife belongs to the latter category. She has a strong will and a lot of courage and inner strength."

Daniel nodded. "Yes, that's true," he agreed.

Dr. Kulani stood up and walked around the desk. Gently, he put his hand on Daniel's shoulder. "I'll leave you alone for a moment, so you can think about what I've told you. If you feel ready to face your wife, you'll find her on floor 5 room 22." He smiles slightly. "All the best!"

How should he face Emily after he had found out about her condition? Even if her loss of memory meant that his secret was safe, his bad conscience plagued him. He had done that to her! The injury, the amnesia ... It was his fault that she was lying in the hospital! And if she ever would remember again, she would hate him forever. There was no way out! Groaning, he buried his head in his hands. What should he tell her? Would it be possible to take her home under these circumstances? Would she want that at all? And could they live together as husband and wife beneath the same roof? He had been so engrossed in thoughts that he had not noticed that the door had opened again and a young nurse, with an emesis bowl in her hand, had entered the room.

"Mr. Grayson? Dr. Kulani asked me to take a saliva sample," she said with a serious face.

"What?" He asked confused.

"A saliva sample." She pointed to the bowl with a cotton swab and a small test tube in it. "For the verification of your DNA ... I mean ... identity," she corrected hastily.

"My identity?" He asked, puzzled. "I don't know, but back home, in the States, we have passports, driving licenses or credit cards for that."

"Just open your mouth! It won't take long," the nurse ordered.

"OK, if you like." Daniel opened his mouth and endured the procedure.

"Thank you!" The nurse pushed the cotton swab into the test tube, gave him a nod and disappeared.

Daniel shook his head in disbelief. Strange habits, he thought as he opened the door to the doctor's office and went towards the elevator.

The Choices We Make (Revenge)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें