Chapter 24

After a few months in the cabin, Jasper and I were still managing to keep our lifestyle a secret from the Denali's. After Emmett's visit, each of the others visited in turn. Then, eventually, Jasper and I headed up to the main house.

Edward called home once every few weeks, talking to everyone but me. I didn't care though, because I knew when he came to his senses about Bella he wouldn't talk to me either. I didn't want to grow attached to him and have to deal with him breaking our friendship up for Bella.

"Hey, we're heading home," Jasper said, laying down beside me in our bed. I've been big for a few days now. I don't know why, but I haven't been able to regress, so Jasper and I have been out in the woods practicing my gift everyday.

"Why?" I asked.

"Bella and Alice left for Volterra to save Edward," Jasper said. I nodded, getting up from the bed and running around at super speed to get our stuff packed.

"To bad we can't take the cottage," Jasper said as we finished up packing. Everything was already loaded into the car to get it back to Forks as well.

"It is quite nice," I said. "But, we'll come back."

"We always do," he said. I kissed his cheek and interlocked our hands before we headed up to the main house to say goodbye.

"We'll see you soon," Kate said.

"See ya. I hope Irena is okay," I said, referring to the loss of Laurent.

"She will be. You lose a lot of people when you live as long as we have," Kate said, hugging me tightly.

Jasper and I got into the car and he started off for home, following Emmett and Rosalie.

"Babe, is everything alright with you?" Jasper asked, placing his hand on my leg as he drove.

"Yeah," I said. "Why?"

"You just haven't regressed in a while, so I wanted to check on you," he said.

"I think it's just the stress that Edward is so kindly causing on all of us," I said.

"I love you, Darlin'," Jasper said, causing me to smile.

"I love you too," I said.

"I mean it. You're worried about Edward and you care about him even though he's the meanest person to you about everything," Jasper said.

"Yeah," I said. "I can't help it."

"I know babe, but still," he said, shrugging slightly to emphasize his point.

The radio played some CD that I burned with a bunch of really old music that Jasper loves. The great thing about being vampires: we have amazing singing voices and music ability in general. That means that we can record songs from our human lives so long as we can run the equipment to do so. That's the real struggle.

"Are you okay?" Jasper asked as he pulled up in front of the house.

"Yeah, just struggling to deal with the fact that we no longer have our own house," I joked.

"Stop babe. Stop joking. What's wrong?" He asked.

"Just Edward," I said. "And Alice. She could die for defending him. I don't want to lose her."

"Babygirl, Alice is going to be just fine," Jasper said, pulling me into his arms. He held me there in the driver seat of his car for a matter of minutes. He just whispered to me, calming down my anxiety.

"Do you wanna regress, babydoll?" Jasper asked.

"No," I said, clinging to his shirt.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"I just wanna be with you," I said. "So don't leave me."

"I won't baby," he said, kissing the top of my head as Carlisle and Esme pulled into the driveway.