Chapter 43: Remembering Kyle (Part 2)

Börja om från början

"I'm on my way." He stood as he said the words, and I stood as well.

So much for a day out on the town.

"Kyle's awake." He said after ending the call, dropping a few bills onto the table, and I was sure my heart stopped for just a second as I processed his words. I couldn't speak as we made our way to his car, and despite how fast he drove, my impatience grew with every mile.

......................................................

The waiting room was crowded with members from the crew, who all greeted me as soon as I stepped in with Simon. Everyone looked excited as they talked with each other. There was laughter, roughhousing and the atmosphere in all was just uplifting. I was told that I was the first person Kyle had asked for when he woke, and my heart soared.

Unfortunately, he hadn't been able to stay awake for more than two minutes, after which time his father had remained in the room with him until he woke again, for longer this time. I grabbed a seat beside Michael in the waiting room, and spotted John in the far corner talking with Eddie.

I could just imagine how anxious he was to finally get the chance to talk to Kyle, after having spent the past two and a half days at the hospital. Relief and anxiety wrested inside me at the thought of getting to see him alive and well, and as I sat there my smile blossomed into a grin.

"Good to see you finally smiling again." Michael said, and I glanced at him. He'd been a member of Nate's crew back at the prison. He was also one of the first out of them all to accept me as part of their team. Nate had told me that two weeks ago, while chasing a suspect through the streets he'd been shot, and was now relegated to sick leave.

I hadn't seen him since he visited my cell the first day they brought me in and it was good to get the chance to talk with him under better conditions.

If it was even possible, my grin widened. "Yeah I'm just glad Kyle's finally awake." I told him. "How's your shoulder?"

"I never had a doubt, Kyle's a fighter." he said with an equally wide grin, then glanced down at his injured shoulder. "It's alright, I'll be back to work in no time." He said positively, then glanced at something behind me, and I looked around to see Nate entering the room. He had a large gift bag in hand, and a smile on his face as the others greeted him.

I stood, and when he finally spotted me he broke away from the guys and headed my way. He draped his free arm around my shoulder and nodded in greeting to Michael who did the same.

"I was just about to drop this off and come get you. What are you doing here?" he asked, and I grinned up at him.

"Simon brought me over. What did you get for Kyle?" I inquired, staring down at the large gift bag, and he pulled away from me briefly to pull the edges apart. I glanced over the contents and pulled out the card inside. When I opened it I looked at Nathan in surprise.

"You put my name on it?" I asked in awe at seeing my name alongside Nate's, scrawled inside the get well soon card.

He plucked it from my hands and replaced it. "Have you seen him yet?' he questioned instead, and I shook my head.

"His father is still in with him, and I hear he doesn't stay awake for very long when he manages to open his eyes."

He nodded and dropped into the chair I'd first claimed as mine. I glanced around the room, looking for one that was empty that I could pull up to Nathan's but he took hold of my wrist and pulled me onto his lap before I could find one.

I glanced around with burning cheeks to see if anyone was watching us, but they either didn't see, or didn't care, so with a sigh I leaned into his chest and waited.