Chapter 9: Pillow talks.

Chapter 9

~Riley’s POV~

The next few days were spent much like all the others with the addition of our passion fueled nights of course. There was no end to it and the more we carried on the more I wanted him.

My need for him almost crossed the line to addiction but I learned to reign in even my most fervent urges during the day when we had to mesh with the others and even then, sometimes Nathan and I both slipped up.

We’d gotten so accustomed to spending time together; touching and talking, that in the public space of the prison yard, sometimes I’d find myself reaching to touch his hand or make a joke and had to catch myself mid act before the others caught on.

Even this afternoon as we’d sat in the cafeteria eating lunch, Nathan had unconsciously reached over to brush a crumb from my cheek and it was only when he was halfway through the act that he seemed to realize what he was doing and put a stop to it. Luckily the others hadn’t noticed but it made me realize just how difficult keeping the secret had become and I hoped for the sake of what we had that it never got out.

We had to be more careful.

It was with that thought that I sat farther away from him than usual that day. The others didn’t comment on the move but they kept shooting looks between me and Nathan who was, as always, focused on more important things.

He sat scribbling something in a small notepad and I rolled my eyes at him when he looked over at me briefly. Leave it to Nathan to be brave enough to bring a pencil out into the yard. Everyone knew they weren’t allowed out of the library because of the fear they would be used as weapons.

He hadn’t even made an attempt to conceal it and I wondered if it was stupidity rather than courage that led him to act so recklessly.

“You know if the guards catch you with that you’re screwed right?” I spoke up, ever the worry wart when it came to his safety.

He looked over at me as did the others and regarded me with an amused smirk; “I’ve been here two years, I think I can take care of myself kid.” He said and I glared at him.

“Why don’t you give him a hug and a kiss too since you care so much.” John sneered.

You couldn’t remain in his sight for a good five minutes without feeling the urge to wrap your hands around his throat and squeeze until your arms got numb.

“I swear you act like a fucking kid sometimes John.” I retorted and the baldy had the nerve to chuckle.

“I know you have a problem with me being a part of this crew, but I am, so how about you just get over it already cause I’m just about sick of your attitude.” I challenged, fully prepared to get up in his face if he made a comeback I didn’t like.

“You’re both children, now shut up so I can concentrate.” Nathan spoke up cutting off whatever John was about to say and we both turned our glares on him.

“No wonder you’re best friends.” I grumbled.

“What was that smartass?” John started again but Nathan saved me from replying.

“We’re gonna have to ease up on the deliveries for a few weeks, we stretched it out too long this time.We can’t have them getting suspicious.” He said and everyone’s attention was on him in that second.

“Suspicious over what?” I questioned almost immediately but as usual they ignored me.

“We can probably get in three more then, once a month before we leave.” Eddie said and I didn’t fail to catch the look Nathan and John sent his way.