32 | Didn't You Know?

Start from the beginning

      Unsurprisingly, Yoongi is quick to answer.

      "Hyung?" Jimin sounds so, so worried, and Byeol can't help but drown in the guilt of knowing that it's her fault, "B-ah's not feeling well, and she wants you."

      Jimin sighs and pulls the phone away from his ear, rolling his eyes dramatically. He smiles softly down at B, cradling her tiny frame. And even though his overly affectionate actions are a real threat to her swag, B doesn't complain.

      "Your oppa is such a brat sometimes." Jimin chuckles, the warm sound easing the tension in B's chest, "He could at least say goodbye before hanging up on me."

      "Oppa's coming?" B curls into Jimin's sturdy side, the voices slowly fading one by one the longer the cheery boy holds her. Suddenly the urge to find her oppa doesn't feel quite so strong and life threatening. Instead B feels content enough to wait for him- as long as Jimin keeps distracting her.

      "That's the only thing he spent the time to tell me." Jimin chuckles, and even though B isn't looking at him, she can tell that Jimin's eyes are sparkling. Jimin then lowers his voice, attempting to impersonate his grumpy hyung, "'I'm coming', he says. And then he hangs up! So rude. Eh, he must be very worried about you."

      Look what I've done! I made Yoongi oppa and Jiminie worry about me. How much more selfish can I get?

      "He's always worried about me." B whispers into the collar of Yoongi's jacket. She'd been in such a rush to find her oppa that she hadn't taken the time to pull off her sneakers or the thick winter coat that Yoongi had practically forced her into before she left. The image of a scowling, determined Yoongi ushering her into the over-sized sleeves of his own coat renews her ache for his presence. 

      "That's because he loves you."

      The sound of the front door opening disrupts Jimin's gentle reassurances, and the two boys (Bet you forgot that Joon's still here, didn't you?) lift their heads to watch Hoseok walk through the entryway with a distressed expression on his face. At that moment Jimin realizes that B was supposed to be with Hoseok, yet they had come back separately. Or, at least, B had run home while Hobi walked.

      Hobi meets Jimin's confused gaze, but neither boy seems to know exactly what's going on. Hoseok shrugs, looking downright helpless, and Jimin turns back to the small shivering bundle beside him.

      B leans further into Jimin, knowing exactly who the hesitant footsteps belong to. Her breaths speed up a little, no matter how hard she tries to breathe slowly, and she grips Jimin's sweater in desperation.

      Why do I have to be so weak?

      "Jimin- Jiminie-" B swallows air, her lungs shrinking with every passing second, "I'm scared."

      If Jimin wasn't worried before, he's really worried now.

      "Your oppa will be here soon, beautiful." Jimin doesn't even notice the new nickname he gently calls her, too preoccupied with pulling the trembling girl onto his lap. B notices. Jimin carefully wraps his arms around her, his voice soothing, "And I'll be right here until he gets back, arasseo? I'm right here. You're safe with me, angel."

      And for some reason, B believes him.

      It feels like centuries of Jimin coddling her and whispering comforting things in B's ears before Yoongi bursts through the door, his pastel green hair sticking out in every direction and his eyes nearly wild. It takes him less than a second to locate his tiny sister on the couch, and even less than that to cross the room and scoop her into his arms, gently hugging her tiny body to his chest.