Chapter 37: Mr. Schneider

Aiden

Seven hours ago (Lessie storms out of the hotel room)

Fucking hell. Why does she have to blow everything out of proportion? We've been married for three fucking years - what's so wrong about wanting kids?

A tiny Lesedi running around - sure, she'll probably drive me nuts, just like her mother; but I'll love her so much - I know damn well, I will.

Why the hell is Lessie so adamant on not having kids? - Jesus.

The thoughts raced through my mind as I straightened the tie around my neck.

Why in the world would she think she's not enough for me - how absurd. Almost six fucking years together and you would think she knew she was my fucking world...Hang on a second...

It suddenly dawned on me, like a ton of bricks.

She was being defensive - she was fucking being defensive about the move to Frankfurt. Ahh shit. This woman and the way her mind, worked - you could fucking write a book about it.

I was just about to give Lessie a call - she couldn't have gone too far, when my phone rang in its stead. It was Rodwick.

"Good morning, John", I answered.

"Err - Good morning Aiden, I've got a friend that's interested in working with your firm. He wants to meet you tonight - ", Rodwick began.

"I've got a train to catch tonight, John. Can we set up a meeting any time earlier?", I asked.

"No, that's not possible...", Rodwick replied displeased.

"Well, maybe Logan can take care of it then. I'll have to ask him to - ", I began but was interrupted.

"He specifically wants to meet you, Aiden...", his tone was impatient.

"It's my wife's birthday, John - if we can't move it up, I'll just have to cancel...", I stated matter-of-factly.

After a few seconds, Rodwick finally replied, "Fine - let's set it up for four-thirty in the evening. How does that sound?"

"Sounds good - You'll pass me the details of this client when we meet?", I asked.

"No, I've already sent you an email", he replied.

"Ah, right - let me have a look at it - I'll see you in a few", I said and hung up.

Logan was not to join Rodwick and I for our final meeting today. He had a meeting with a different client - a client Rodwick had introduced to us yesterday.

Taking my phone out, I browsed through my emails, momentarily forgetting I was about to call Lessie. By the time my memory clocked back in, I was already one hour into the meeting with Rodwick.

'I'll just take a raincheck on that one.', I reasoned out internally as I focused back on the topic at hand.

~~

The meeting ended sometime around two o' clock in the afternoon. Somehow, Rodwick seemed a bit off during the entire ordeal. He was easily distracted and his mind elsewhere, even during lunch. He insisted we have a late lunch together at the hotel, since it was my last day here. Maybe he was out of sorts because I still hadn't given him a word on our plans of branching out to Frankfurt. Honestly, it was a big decision and we probably needed to have a board meeting, to decide. Also, the way Lessie took the news in the morning, I wasn't even sure if I was all for it anymore.