Chapter 14: The Flame

Aiden

(Lesedi's POV reference: Chapter 13 - His Routine)

'What the fuck just happened?', I froze on the couch while Lessie grabbed her keys and walked out.

'She left. Just like that. What the - Why? Shit, Fuck, I need to stop her!', it struck me as I leapt off the couch and rushed to the elevator outside the loft.

I pressed the button hastily and took a step back to study the digital screen.

'Why the fuck isn't this piece of shit moving? Who the fuck is holding it on the ground floor? - Fuck this!', I thought as I sprinted to the emergency staircase.

Pacing down four flights of stairs, I finally made it to the parking lot to find an empty parking spot in place of Lessie's car.

"She's gone", I breathed as I reflexively crossed my hands above my head.

One week ago

It was a long, stressful day at the firm; we didn't normally work on Saturdays, but today was an exception.

The guys worked their asses off during the week so normally, the least I could do was to give them the weekend off.

They needed to relax, spend time with their families and hopefully replenish some of that energy back.

This way they'd all be pumped up and ready to face the shit-load of paperwork we handled on Mondays.

But today was different; today, we had a VIP client scheduled for the morning.

No matter how strict our policy for weekend scheduling was, a big gun from China who was here on transit for a little more than half a day trumped it all.

The job was too big for a single team to handle, so I had Logan in on it as well.

By the end of the meeting, we had successfully acquired one of our largest paying clients.

On the downside, we were pretty much dead beat.

'I need a drink', I thought as I checked my watch.

It was half past seven.

'Probably drop by the pub down the street and head home after', I supposed when my phone buzzed.

It was a text message from Camilla, a woman I had met last weekend at the pub.

It read,

Same place tonight? ;) - Camilla.

'Great. I guess the pub's out then.', I thought to myself while sending her a reply.

Busy. - Aiden.

Camilla was a good-looking woman, some would say she was very attractive.

But just like every other woman I dated since college, they'd outrun their allure eventually.

If I was lucky, it would be after the night was over.

I had been with enough women to realize that this wasn't entirely their fault.

I was well, as Kara would put it, cursed.

I hardly felt anything beyond mild infatuation, and even if I did, it was over once we fucked.

The best fucks were just okay; never enough.

So, I'd stick to a routine.

I'd scope the place out for an attractive woman looking to have some fun; not the serious types who'd want something more than one night.