Chapter Twenty Seven

PART FOUR

For four days I hung out with the Millers. I even met my little brothers and sister. Lily and Mark took a liking to me fast but Jeremy was a little curious.

I had five days before I leave for Florida, so I was trying to spend as much time with them as I could.

It was New Year's Day and everyone was running around trying to set up for the party tonight, when I noticed Jeremy sneaky upstairs. I followed and ended up in front of his door,

I knocked,

"Yeah?" His little voice came,

I opened the door to see him sitting on his bench in front of a window. I move to sit next to him,

"Why aren't you helping downstairs?"

"We don't throw big parties like this for New Years!"

Ah. I get it, "so you think they are doing it because of me?"

He nodded, "why did you have to show up?"

"I wanted to know who my real parents are! Aren't you happy you have a big sister?" I ask, very skeptical of his answer,

"No." Whoa. "I'm the big sibling not you! You weren't here when Lily cut her knee, or when Mark had to deal with a bully at school? You can't just walk in here and try to take over or try to take our parents away!"

Okay let me just say it because I know we are all thinking it: DAMN THIS KID HAS A MOUTH AND A BRAIN OF A 15 YEAR OLD!

"Look Jeremy! I don't want to take over being an older sibling! I have two younger brothers at home but do you know why it's different then having two brothers here?" He shook his head, "they lied to me. They aren't my biological brothers, they were just people who took me into their home and raised me because mom and dad couldn't. You....you are my biological brother. You, Lily, Mark, mom and dad, you guys are my biological family! I'm not here to take it away from you, I would never do that, I just- I just want to get to know you guys. That's all." He looked at me and that's when I saw it. I pulled him into a hug, I knew what he needed from me, "I'm so sorry Jeremy! I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you, I'm sorry I wasn't the big sister you never had but I will change that," I pull him away and look him in the eyes, "do you hear me? I will change that!"

I pulled him back into my arms and held him right. Over his shoulder I saw mom and dad peaking through the door, tears rolling down their faces. I nod to them letting them know I got this and they left.

"Hey buddy. You know I leave in 5 days, right?" He nods, "so why not spend it getting to know each other better?"

He smiles as we head for his door and towards the party!

I wore a burgundy sweater that was tucked into beige lace high waisted shorts and brown booties. I met the entire family, even the four people I am supposed to call grandparents. The faces they had when they were introduced to me was priceless.

We ended the night with a count down and loud cheering. I stayed with them for two more days and then drove back to Kat's house.

No one was home, so I headed upstairs and back into the guest room. I dropped my bag near the door and went to the bathroom. The second I came out the bathroom,

Kat supermaned on my bed, "Sooooo? How was it?"

"Damn, Kat please take it easy. I dont need my niece or nephew getting upset in there and it was great! The party was amazing. Jeremy never left my side and I wouldn't have had it any other way! We danced, sung, made s'mores, fireworks and we even swam at night!"

"You know you have the biggest fucking smile on your face right now?" I smile bigger making Kat laugh.

"Oh, shut up!" I try to say in a British accent and lay next to her!

"Oh, my gawd! What in the bloody hell was that? Tell me you did not just try that!" She laughed harder.

I roll her body closer to me and straddle her stomach, pin her arms above her head,

"Okay! Okay, I'll stop laughing just please don't!"

I waited to see if she was telling the truth but I didn't stop holding her hands. Just as I was about to let go she burst out laughing, so I start to assault her with my right hand, tickling her until she turned red. Of course I kept the baby in mind, so I didn't tickle her too hard or too long.

"You gonna stop laughing at me and let me bask in the glory of pure happiness?"

She was nodding, laughing and squirming all at once, to the point where I let go clutching my own stomach, since it hurt from laughing.

We started to die down as we both stared up at the ceiling.

"You know you have to speak to them." She whispered,

"Yeah, I know." Why did they make this so difficult? "I'm going by there tomorrow."

"Okay, that sounds good!"

I grab her hand, "would you come with me?"

"Of course, Rory, besides I have a few choice words for those fuckers too!" I looked at my best friend, "what? I was just waiting until you were ready!"

I laugh!