Chapter Six

I hop on the bike I leave at her house and ride it over to mine. I loved how our houses were literally next door to each other. Our houses weren't mansions, but they also weren't your average family home. The houses were still a good couple feet away from each other that we had to ride bikes to each others house.

I turned up our drive way and weave my way through the three cars sitting out front and up into the garage, which was open. Parking my bike against the wall, I open the door and the cool conditioned air greets me. I see Judy in the kitchen preparing the Thanksgiving dinner for mom,

"Hey Judy," I say as I set my bag on the kitchen island,

"Good morning Miss. Montgomery,"

"Ew, Judy, you make me feel like a old lady when you address me that way." She smiled, "just stick with Rory."

Now I really know how Daniel and Kathryn feel when I address them as Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence.

"Mom?" I called out as Judy tossed me a bottle of water and I caught it, "dad?"

"In the living room sweetie," I hear my mom yell back,

I walked through the kitchen and entered the living room where I saw my parents sitting on the sofa in front of the fireplace. My dad had his glasses on, tinkering with some gadget in his hands and mom was reading a book by Steve Harvey called Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man. I notice two glasses of wine sitting in front of them on the glass stained coffee table.

"Mom, why are you reading that?"

"So, I know what your idiot father thinks about when he does that grunting noise after everything I say!"

I laugh, "mom I don't think Steve actually tells you what that means. I'm pretty sure most guys mean different things when they grunt!"

"How would you know?" She closed her book and set it down next to the glass of wine.

"I don't, I was just suggesting!" I sit in one of the arm chairs and rub my hands on my legs, "so how is the farm?"

"Its been tough but I have hired help," my dad said without looking up from his gadget,

"How is school?" mom asked,

"I will be graduating in January, I will send you all the information and I have been looking at medical schools here in Texas,"

"You're moving back home?"

"Me and Kat will find our own place of course but yes, we are moving back to Texas."

My mother was so ecstatic that she jumped up and started clapping her hands, "I'm going to make my famous peach cobbler," she got up and headed into the kitchen.

"Am I the only one here so far?"

Dad looked at his watch, "Yeah, Liam said he would arrive around 3, George said around 7 and Harley will be here at 5."

"Do you mind taking me to Wakefield High? I would like to pick up the boys!"

He nodded, "be ready by 2:15, I need to get back and finish this stupid thing!"

He set his gadget on the table next to him and headed upstairs.

Me and my dad have grown apart the last few years, and I don't know what happened. It was like one day he woke up and decided to distance himself from me. I stopped questioning him on why he doesn't talk to me as much anymore because he would either snap, just ignore me or give me simple, to the point answers with no feeling behind it.

I release a deep breath and walked into the kitchen where my mom is laying a layer of peaches in her famous pie. Walking over to her, I lean against the counter and cross my arms as I ask her a question,

"Why?" she looked at me, "Why did he become distant with me?"

My mom was the tall, blonde haired, blue eyed women! She was second youngest of four girls and one boy, and still looked good for a 58 year old women! Dad and mom met when she was 21 and he was 22. They were on the opposite side of the social status. Dad was the nerd and mom was one of the cheerleaders along with her sisters! Dad had ended up tutoring mom, since she was failing a class. The rest was history, your typical college love story!

She shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know sweet heart, you know how your father is,"

"Actually mom, I don't know how dad is. He has changed in the past few years,"

"Honey, can we not have this conversation during your break?"

I sighed. I wanted to ask her 'then when can we have the conversation?' but I kept that question to myself, "fine, what's for Thanksgiving dinner?"

"The usual!" She smiled, adding the finishing touches to the pie

"What's the usual?" I was seriously interested,

"You would know if you stayed for dinner on Thanksgiving instead of running away every time he came over," She tossed the tomatoes into the bowel along with cucumber slices and turned to face me, "You really should stay this whole Thanksgiving."

"That's the plan this year mom," I smile at her but that vanished when I remembered what she said to me, "and I wasn't running mom!"

"Ha! So, what do you call leaving every time you hear that Colton was coming over?"

"I call it avoiding the drama and the awkwardness!" I scoff and move from next to her,

"I wouldn't be so awkward anymore if you two would just fuck already!" My grandmother walked into the room,

She isn't your typical petite, old, greying woman; no, my grandmother looks like she is 43. Her long black hair hasnt turn silver yet, unless she just dyes her hair when no one is around. She has few wrinkles, but she is still the queen of this family, with her head held high and her back straight, she's what makes the Montgomery's a family.

"GRANDMA!!!" I screamed right when my mom yelled, "MOM!"

"What? You all know it's true!" She walked over to the cupboard and grabbed a bottle of Crown Royal and a shot glass, "we were all rooting for you and Colton but then that bitch Carrie had to come into the picture. Ever since that night, you always left when you heard he was on his way. It's quite sad if you ask me but then again I understand why you kept running after that one Thanksgiving."

I squinted my eyes and my mouth dropped open, staring at the woman as she downed two shots. She is the best grandmother ever, but she can also be the most annoying one in the world!

"Sweetie close your mouth before something flies in there and you start choking!" My mom said as she used her hand to close my mouth.

I gasp and smirk at my mom, "You have flies in your kitchen mom?"

"Oh, shut up," mom said, and my grandma and Judy started laughing, "Aren't you supposed to be getting ready?"

"You see what happens when I talk to you two! You side track me with nonsense and now I have to rush to shower off this jetlag and change so I can surprise the boys!"

I heard them cracking up as I ran out the kitchen and up the stairs to my childhood room!