Chapter One

If someone told me that microbiology was going to be this hard I wouldn't have taken it! Did you know that it branches out to bacteriology, mycology, protozoology and the list continues; But just sitting in this class, listening to Professor Brown drone on and on about the difference between eukaryotic microorganisms and prokaryotic microorganisms has my head spinning,

"Eukaryotic microorganisms possess membrane-bound cell organelles and include fungi and protists, whereas prokaryotic organisms-which all are microorganisms-are conventionally classified as lacking membrane-bound organelles and include eubacteria and archaebacteria." His voice continued to drone on, "Microbiologists traditionally relied on culture, staining, and microscopy. However, less than 1% of the microorganisms present in common environments can be cultured in isolation using current means. Microbiologists often rely on extraction or detection of nucleic acid, either DNA or RNA sequences."

I checked the time on my phone and saw we only had 2 minutes left of class. When I began to lightly close my notebook and my text book, the Professor spoke,

"Alright class is dismissed but remember that the campus is closed for Thanksgiving beak and when you get back be ready for a recap quiz."

Stuffing my books in my bag, I gave myself a mental note to write this "recap quiz" on our calendar when I get to the apartment. Slipping my bag over my shoulder, I exit the building, welcoming the light breeze that hit me in the face.

It's my last year in University and I'm loving it. Harley said I would love it the first year then I'd just get tired of coming but he was wrong, I love it here.

Our parents wanted us to become doctors like them and it was going according to plan. George is a pediatrician, I am studying to become an Obstetrician, and Liam is a gynecologist but Harley, the third and troubled child, went for business and now he owns a ranch, a club and races horses. Sounds cool right? I like the idea of racing horses but mom and dad said that he won't be financially stable, but he proved them wrong, my brother is living very well.

I took a deep breath and head across the quad to the parking lot, when my phone rings: KAT

"Hello?" I answered,

"Hey, where are you?"

"Headed to the truck. Why?"

"I've got good news and your taking too long to get here," she paused, "wait, were you doing that meditating thing with the wind again?"

I laughed, "all I do is take deep breaths Kat, stop exaggerating!"

"Yeah, if you say so!"

"So what's the good news?" I unlocked the truck and hopped in,

"My mums pregnant!!!" She squealed,

"Oh my gosh!" I pull out the parking lot onto the road, "how far along?"

"Seven months," wait, what? "I know it's a long time, but she wanted to make sure the pregnancy was safe before she got my hopes up. To be honest I understand why they did that, do you remember how long it took them to get pregnant with me?"

"I remember Kat!" I exhale the air that was in my lungs and waited for the light to turn green, "I'm so happy for you guys, congratulations!"

"I'm going to be a big sister!"

"Although, I do have one question?" I waited for her to stop hyperventilating and pulled into a parking spot in our apartment garage, "why not adoption? I mean your parents have had 21 years to adopt more children. Why didn't they?"

"I don't know. We will ask when we head home for Thanksgiving."

I climb the stairs to the fourth floor and insert my key into the door. As I step in, I hang up my phone and drop my bag on the floor, shutting the door with my foot. I enter the kitchen, grab a water bottle out of the fridge and after shutting the door I wrote 'Quiz after break' on the blackboard part of it.

"Do you know the gender?" I yell from the kitchen,

She came around the corner and sat at the bar, "Its a boy! And they want me to name him!"

"And what did you come up with?" I smile, taking a sip of the water,

"That's what I need your help for!" she whined. I rest my elbows on the counter and lean forward as she stares at the ceiling, "I'm so happy Rory!"

"Come on, lets start packing," I motion towards our rooms,

Me and Kat have been best friends since the 8th grade. We met at lunch when I didn't have anywhere to sit at; and I wasn't going to sit with those girls who think they ran everything. I would have been sitting with Bella and April, but they didnt have that lunch. So, I decided to sit at the only table available, which sat a lone, fiery red head and before you knew it we were best friends and inseparable, from each others side.