Chapter Five

After the long plane ride, Alex came to pick us up and take us to Kats house. It was great to see all the sceneries again as we made our way through the city, then the countryside and eventually we made it to our home town.

Once Alex pulled up to the house, Kat jumped out and ran to her car. She threw herself on top of her car and rubbed it,

"My car! Oh, how I've missed you,"

I turned to Alex, "You can take my bags to my house," he nodded.

I look back at Kat and burst out laughing. Me and Kat decided that I would bring my truck to Florida and we would leave her car home, so that when we came to visit we had a way of transportation.

"Relax Kat," I walk past her and towards the house, "come on, I want to see your moms belly!"

At the mention of her moms belly, she jumped off her car and ran to the house. The door automatically opened, thanks to Tucker, their butler. Kat disappeared when she ran in the house. When I made it into the house, Kat was about to embrace her father, and her mother turned to look at me,

"Aurora, darling, it's so good to see you!" Mrs. Lawrence pulled me into a hug. I tried to dodge that big belly of hers, but she had other plans.

"Mum, let go of my best friend, you're going to kill her, then I'm going to have to bring her back to life just to kill her again because she is squishing my little brother!" Kat pushed me out the way and went to hold her mom's stomach.

I turn to Mr. Lawrence, "Congratulations Mr. Lawrence!"

"Now what have we told you about calling us that, we are not that old." He pulled me into a hug,

I smile, "I know Daniel, I'm just used to it that's all!"

"Well get un-used to it!" Kathryn swatted Kats hand and went to the kitchen,

We followed. Her parents went around the bar while Kat and I sat on the bar stools,

"So how has school been going girls?" Daniel asked,

"Its been great! After these exams, I'll graduate," I smile, twisting in my chair, "I have been putting in applications into multiple Medical schools, but I think I'm going to attend one in Texas. I'm missing my home,"

"That's very understandable," Kathryn poured juice in two cups, passing one to me then one to Kat, "What about you Kat? Any Law schools contact you back yet?"

"I will also be graduating this year and I would've been the top of my class, except this bitch took the spot!" she swirled her drink, "and no, no schools have contacted me back yet."

"If you need us to help.." her mom started,

"NO! I can do it on my own," Kat took a sip of her juice,

"What is the name of the girl who has become top of the class?" Daniel asked,

"Pheona Duncan," Kat spat out like it was a bad taste,

"Duncan?" Daniel looked at Kathryn,

"I can see why she took the top spot in the class," Kathryn tisked, "her whole family is like that."

"Yeah well, atleast my family spends time with me," she smiled and put the plastic bag onto the island,

"Hey Kathryn, do you mind if I ask you guys a personal question?" I lean forward in my chair,

"Of course, sweetie, go ahead," they both turn to me,

"I was just curious on why you guys never adopted in the past 21 years,"

They looked at each other, "That's a good question. We have considered adoption, multiple times, but we were never matched with anyone,"

"Well, honey, thats not entirely true," Kathryn put her hand on Daniels stomach and looked at us, "we were matched to a little girl and boy, they were siblings. They came and stayed with us for a few days; you were still in Florida when this happened Kat. Well, everything was going great and we had an appointment to sign the papers and make them officially ours, but their father showed up and took them back. We were so sad that we decided to not try adoption again for the fear of breaking our hearts,"

"Oh mom, Im sorry." Kat got down from the stool and hugged her parents,

"It's okay Kat. I'm glad we didn't go forward because then we would'nt have had the will to try for a baby again."

It was like a moment of silence in the Lawrences kitchen. Kat broke it by grabbing the plastic bag and putting it onto the island, to liven up the atmosphere in here, "look what I got the little booger,"

They both began to dig through the clothes, "these are so cute Kat!"

"KAT JASMINE LAWRENCE!" her dad said, "what in the hell?"

He held up the t-shirts with a shocked face. Kat and I burst out laughing,

"Let me see, Daniel!" her mom read them, and she too started laughing. Eventually Daniel laughed along with us.

"I can't believe you did this!" her mom said wiping the tears that were falling from her face, "This is genius!"

"I know I told her the same thing!" I jump off the bar stool, "Alright guys, I'll see you all soon. I have to go home to my own family now."

"Margo!" Kathryn called out. A petite older lady came from around the corner, "can you put these in the babies room please?"

"Or course Mrs. Lawrence," she took the bag and headed upstairs,

"Before I go, tell them the name you chose for the baby,"

"Oh, okay," Daniel and Kathryn look at Kat in anticipation, "I was thinking that since I was named after mom, that the baby could be named after dad,"

"Oh Kat, that's so sweet of you honey," Daniel squeezed Kathryns shoulder,

"Daniel Theodore Lawrence Jr." Kat beamed as she said the name out loud,

They pulled her into a hug and I took that as my cue to leave.