l a s t g a m e

Jason

I felt heavy pressure on my chest; sweat dripping down my forehead, across my eyebrow, along my cheek and off my chin. I bounced the ball with my left hand, knees bent, ready to shoot the ball to someone.

Six seconds left, and the game would be officially over. I looked to see if someone was open, but I couldn't see anyone in safe view.

Before the opposite team had a chance to slap the ball from me, I shot it towards the hoop.

The silence felt longer than the countdown let on, but without too much time passing by, the audience screamed in happiness as the ball made it into the hoop, scoring us an additional 3 points, despite us already being in the lead.

The court was bombarded with happy fans of the school team, and i don't know who was grabbing at me, as hands flew around.

Finally, the crowd began to span out and I could finally locate my team through everyone.

Ashton grinned, throwing an arm over my shoulders, "Great shot man, we fuckin scored."

I chuckled a bit, "Yeah, finally won the last game."

"You coming to celebrate with us?" Ashton rose a brow.

"I can't, family have something planned." I shrugged. My Mum and step dad were planning on taking me out for a quiet dinner - I would've had a party like normal, but for some reason, my mum said some shit about it costing too much. I was a tad annoyed, but stopped caring after five minutes.

"Oh right, it's your birthday." Ashton chuckled, smiling.

I sighed out in relief, glad Ashton seemed to be okay with me now. He'd been ignoring me a lot because of Riley - I didn't think he wanted to be near me.

"Yeah, aha... you mind if I ask you something?" I licked my lips, hoping we could hold the conversation in the loud gymnasium.

Ashton signed, "If it's about her, no."

Speaking of the devil, Ashton pointed to the benches, and Riley was at the top of them.

She looked pale, but it could be make up.

She was with Luke, of all people, and I could feel Ashton tense as Luke seemed to be rubbing her back in a soothing matter.

"Is he fucking serious?" Ashton spat.

"Whoa, don't jump to conclusions.. Luke could just be, uh,,, talking?" I couldn't be certain if I'm honest.

Luke was sly, and when he didn't like someone he could do some nasty shit... but at the same time he's been friendly with me again, and I thought he had settled down in drama starting.

"She's such a slut, how can she sit up there with him at our game?" Ashton sneered, his arm leaving me as he went to march up towards them.

I yanked him by his shirt, shaking my head, "Ashton, cut it out."

Before he could do much else, Riley and Luke began walking down the benches, and unfortunately towards us.