Thirty Four : "Could She Be Here?"

Rudeness attracts sufferings. Kindly point the mistakes in the comments section. Thank you. 😉😑😇

Gerda gathered all of them in her room. Cabel, Lafey and Patrollo. She got the book from Lafey and opened it to the place it had been ripped. Cabel saw this and thought that Patrollo had given Gerda the Yetil. Patrollo saw this and thought that Cabel had given Gerda the Yetil.

Lafey knew what they were thinking. "It's not about the plant. Look at the middle."

The boys looked at the middle. "Looks like it has been ripped out. What page was that?" Patrollo asked.

"The shape-shifting spell. Queen Elizabeth has it."

"Dear god." Cabel said. "That means she could be anywhere. Anyone."

They all looked at each other. Could Queen Elizabeth be with them? In the skin of one of them? Could she be here? Gerda shook her head. "This is crazy. We all know we are each other. If Lafey was Queen Elizabeth, why would she show me the ripped page? And if Cabel or Patrollo was her, why would they think that the other give me the Yetil?"

They all agreed.

***👑***

The Coronation was held the next day. Even though the people of Arigan loved Gerda, they couldn't make her their queen due to the rules. No witch was allowed to be a member of the royal family. They had allowed her to stay with her family in the castle. But she couldn't become Queen.

Garry was dressed richly. He was given a kind of jewelry to wear. His hands had so many rings that he could crack a coconut with it just by knocking on it. He excused himself and went to get fresh air when he spotted a maid plucking apples from a tree not faraway from Gerda. But she wasn't alone. Someone was with her.

It was hard to believe but the two were still not getting along. For the fact that Garry knew his mother had killed her mother and he hadn't told her made her blood boil. Gerda still snapped and glared at Garry and Garry still mocked her. "Just like the old times." Lafey would say. He walked to her and found out she wasn't alone.

Argus was with her. "Hello, young king." He bowed a little.

Garry nodded his head in greetings. "What are you guys doing?"

"We are just taking a walk." Gerda answered quickly.

Garry nodded. She was lying and he knew it. But he tried his best not to point it out. Ever since he had discovered that he had feelings for Lafey, and that they were growing day by day, he would always try his best not to say mean words to her or make her cry. The highest he would say was, "Keep talking and your mouth will pack."

"Can I have a word with my —" he braced himself. "sister?"

Argus nodded, sent them a look, then disappeared.

Garry plucked a flower out and twirled it slowly with his fingers. "Now tell me the truth. What were you two doing here?"

Gerda blinked. "Nothing. Leave me alone." She folded her hands.

Garry smirked. "Oh, my little sister. Always a bad liar." He threw the little flower at Gerda. It fell in her hair, which she removed angrily.

"Garry. Leave me alone. I have nothing to tell you. Just because you are king doesn't mean you can bother me anyhow."

"Oh, believe me. I want to bother you and give you a headache. But my inner feelings for your friend are in the way. You should thank her."

"Are you really in love with her?"

Garry looked at the bush of flowers and whispered a small 'yes.'

Gerda frowned. "Well, I don't believe you. I think it's just lust. If you dare hurt my friend, I will make sure that you pay. I will turn you into a frog. I swear."

"Easy there, witch. Remember that you are powerless and I have the crown?" He smirked.

"Remember that you have a manhood and I have a knee?"

Garry stepped back. "Wait, you are diverting us from the subject of our topic. You little snitch."

Gerda begun to blush in shame. "I don't know what you are talking about."

"Get to the point. What were you and Argus talking about?"

Gerda sighed. "We were talking about your mother. She didn't kill Councilor Lydia."

"Well, Duh." Garry said.

"You know who did?"

Garry shook his head. "No. But I do know that she wasn't inside. A maid told me she had gone to her room and was talking to the wall."

It took them both some few minutes before they understood what that meant.

Gerda and Garry snapped their fingers at the same time. "She was saying a spell."

"It must have been the spell that took out the lights." Gerda said.

"You know what I can't believe," Garry said, folding his arms. "is that after I help you take down my own mother you still won't let me in on this investigation. Geez, Gerda."

"Sorry." She felt ashamed again. "Um... How can I make it up to you?" Once those words were out of her mouth, she knew she had landed herself in big trouble.

Garry smiled and rubbed his palms together. "Now we are talking. I was thinking whether you can get Lafey on my good side, I want her to see me for who I am —"

"A big dump?"

"—to her." Garry finished. He glared at Gerda. "So are you going to  do it?"

Gerda sighed. "I will try."

Garry chuckled. "Oh and if you want to know more about Queen Elizabeth's secret action, go meet her personal maid." He had started walking back to the castle.

"Wait," Gerda yelled. "What's her name?"

"Fiona!"

Fiona? Gerda said in her mind. Where had Gerda heard that name before? She suddenly remembered what Lafey said when they were in the village. Just before the village town crier had made his announcement.

Fiona was Lafey's former roommate.

The person who shared a room with her when Lafey had been framed.

END.

***************NEXT ON GERDA*****************

"Who, who, who screamed?" Gerda stammered, but no one answered her.