Twenty Three : "The Royal Commoner."

See any mistake, point it out in the comments section.

Gerda opened her eyes and immediately regretted it. There was too much light. Rays of sunshine was entering the room someway or another. She wasn't in her room that was for sure. The roof looked like it would fall any moment and it was also filled with cobwebs. She sat up quickly and regretted it too. Her back ached badly. Her stomach was also hurting her but it was because of hunger.

Why was she here?

Then everything that happened yesterday came rushing back to her. Queen Elizabeth, the fire, Patrollo and Lafey escaping, the guards with green eyes, her being powerless, and Queen Elizabeth shooting her out of the window. She had been falling when everything had blacked out. She looked around. The room she was in was so old. The chairs were made out of wood, raw wood, no soft material covered it, expect for the hay on top of it. The ground was squeaky and unsteady. If you walked on it, you'd think someone was following you. The windows had dirty curtains with holes in them. No, those were rat bites. And lastly, the bed sheet had so many patches.

Suddenly, the door opened and in came a woman wearing a dress. She was carrying some food stock and at the same time, telling some loud women outside good bye. She used her leg to close the doors then walked inside.

Gerda would have recognized her but the rays of sunshine made it hard to see. Instead, she recognized a dress. That was the same dress was the same dress that Nanny Powrell had magicked away from few weeks back. The woman dropped her food stock and clapped her hands three times. All the sunlight moved out slowly as if the sun was in a hurry to go and let the night come.

Gerda saw her now. "Nanny Powrell! Oh my gosh, how did you save me? Are you okay? Will I loose my memory and later remember them? And have you always been this wretched?"

"Hey!"

"Sorry, just want to know how you saved me. How did you save me?"

"Calm down, darling." She said, carrying the food stock into the kitchen. Her voice could still be heard clearly. "Well, I was coming to the castle when I saw smoke and maids running about. I got one to talk and he said some dangerous prisoners had escape. Then I asked where the smoke was coming from and they said they didn't know. I followed the smoke around the castle and found out it was from your room. It wasn't all that serious yet but I believe your room was not the first to catch fire." She walked back into the living room which had a BED in it. "Any way, I was about flying when you came flying out of the window. I caught you in mid air with my magic and allowed you to float smoothly to my house. It was getting late so nobody saw you and me slip away.

Gerda was flabbergasted. "I know I should be worried about what you said but why are you wearing my dress?"

"Because I can." Nanny Powrell twirled around happily. "The dress makes me look young."

"Because you stole it from me!" Gerda yelled. Then she sighed. "Now, I m the Royal commoner."

"Don't yell, we don't want the people to know that you are still alive."

Gerda's jaw dropped. "What?! They think I'm dead?"

Nanny Powrell nodded. "You have to be indoors always."

Gerda shook her head. "I'm not dead. I am going back to the castle. I am going to claim my father's throne. This can't be happening."

"No. Queen Elizabeth shot you out a window. She wanted you dead. We need to let her think you are dead so that we can hatch a plan to take her down at the coronation."

Gerda's eyes watered. "But my father..." She sniffed.

"Gerda, that's another thing I want to tell you. He's dead. People are talking about how daughter and father left the world at the same time. I'm so sorry, Gerda."