Fifteen : "No! It Wasn't Her!! It's Not Her!!"

Sorry ahead for any typos.

The next morning, Gerda woke up because of a bad dream. But she didn't want to think about it. She threw her legs down the bed and went to the windows. Opening them, she enjoyed the view of the people of Arigan below. They were like ants all the way down there.

The double doors opened and Lafey walked in. She had a bucket of water and a mop. As she set this down, something glinted on her finger. Gerda strained her eyes because the sleep was still on her eyes. "Where did you get that?"

Lafey looked at her finger on her right hand. On it was a ring. It was so beautiful and it had a green diamond implanted on it. She smiled. "Oh! I found it on my bed after what happened yesterday. I laid down when it pricked me. Then when I got up, it was there."

Gerda moved closer. "Can I see it?"

Lafey nodded and stretched out her hand.

Gerda looked at it. She recalled seeing this ring somewhere but she couldn't remember. But all she knew was that this ring didn't grow legs to go to Lafey's bed. Something was wrong. Something serious.

The doors opened and Nanny Powrell stepped in. "Today is practice -" Her eyes widened and she touched her lips as she saw Lafey.

Gerda folded her hands. "It's Ok, she knows I'm a witch."

Nanny Powrell looked confused. "You? A witch? Whatever do you mean?"

"You can drop the act." Gerda rolled her eyes.

"What act?" Nanny Powrell laughed nervously. "I think we better go talk outside." She gritted her teeth.

Gerda sighed and waved her hand a little. Her wardrobe behind her opened and a dress flew out and up the roof. "Oh no. At least it didn't grow hands this time."

"Gerda!!" Nanny Powrell snapped "You have exposed your secret identity. Now we have to blow her brain." She stepped towards Lafey. "Stand still little girl, this may hurt a little."

Gerda blocked Nanny Powrell. "She knew because I told her. Her aunts made this extraordinary book of spells called Tronox."

"I'm sorry, blow my brain?!" Lafey exclaimed.

Nanny Powrell's eyes widened. "You mean the famous Tronox? The one that was used in the war?"

"No," Lafey answered. "The one that was used for harvesting."

"What?"

"Sorry," Gerda said. "She has this habit of saying out-of-pointers."

"So where is it?"

Gerda clicked her fingers. The Tronox appeared in her other hands.

"Woah! I see you have been practicing." Nanny Powrell said, picking up the book.

"No. I have been using the Tronox." Gerda said.

Nanny Powrell eyed her. Then she returned to the book. Her hands opened the book, shakily. Flipping through the pages carefully, she removed a small gasp of excitement everytime she came upon a picture of a monster, plant or spell. "It was said that the three Aunts invested their powers within this book. That's what makes it so powerful."

Gerda thought for a moment. "Nanny, do you know any thing like a Hix?"

Nanny shot her eyes at Gerda. "You too, suspect it? Someone killed councillor Lydia with it. I mean, a witch as powerful as her can't just be killed like that."

Gerda touched her chin. "You're right. But why kill her?"

"Because he or she has the Hix." Nanny Powrell answered.