Misunderstanding (Kukai Souma x Reader)

Requested by: @lunathedemoncatgirl

Edited June 19, 2020

I apologize, I am not familiar with this character or anime. I have heard of it but I have never seen it and due to that, it will be a basic high school to college love story without powers or anything. So if that bothers you I apologize.

(Y/n) (L/n) and Kukai Souma had easily become the cutest couple at their school after dating for all four years. Many of their friends looked up to them because it seemed like they had everything: looks, smarts, great personalities, and each other.

Although everything seemed perfect, it was far from it. Kukai had kept backing out of dates saying he had to study or he had to help a friend. (Y/n) didn't want to think it, but it felt like their boyfriend was cheating on them or that he didn't want to be with them anymore. And it really hurt because they felt like it could've been with their best friend and Kukai's ex-girlfriend Yaya Yuiki, who he had recently been spending more time with as of late.

(Y/n) had enough. One day after school, they asked Kukai to meet them at a nearby convenience store which is where, if he didn't back out, they would confront him.

"Babe," Kukai said excitingly, "I'm so glad you asked me to meet you here because I actually have something to ask you about."

"Oh, so do I."

"You go first."

"...I guess there's no easy way to ask this. Are you cheating on me with Yaya?"

"What?! No! Why would you think that?"

"You keep cancelling dates and you are starting to hang out with Yaya more and more lately. I can't help but feel like you two are seeing each other behind my back."

"But we aren't! Sure, I hang out with her but that's because she's been helping me with something. And I get it...we were together at one point but that ship has sailed. I am with you baby...and I have never been happier."

"Even though I want to, I can't believe you. Maybe we should break up. Then you can be truly happy."

(Y/n) got up and left leaving a teary eyed Kukai sitting there. He slowly took a ring out of his pocket and sighed before leaving himself.

One year later...

Kukai walked around his college campus with his friend Amu. After graduation and the break up, he went through a rough patch but after hearing that you attended the same university as him, he became hopeful that he could meet up with you and talk things out. He never stopped loving you and he hoped some part of you still loved him too. He slightly turned his head and saw (Y/n) sitting under a tree reading. They looked up and met his gaze and gave him a soft yet cute smile and waved. He stumbled over to where they sat.

"Hi Kukai."

"Hi."

"How are you?"

"Good..."

"No you aren't."

"No I'm not. I forgot how well you knew me."

"I'm so sorry about that day. Yaya told me about the proposal and how she was helping you pick a ring out. I should have listened to you. God I'm so stupid."

"No you aren't. I am for not going after you."

"Are you with someone?"

"No...are you?"

"No."

"Then can we try again? I never stopped loving you and I can't picture myself without you anymore. I won't propose...yet, but I want to give us another shot."

"I would love to."

The two shared a sweet kiss and hugged for the first time in a year.

"Kukai?"

"Hmm?"

"What did you mean by you won't propose yet?"

"Oh I know I'm gonna marry you. I knew then, but I know you probably aren't ready to plan a wedding yet what with exams coming up. I knew you would become my wife/husband the moment I first laid my eyes on you my love."