Chapter 21

The song for this chapter is "Broken Yet Holding On" by Roni Tran. This song is absolutely beautiful and perfectly describes Carter's emotions. <3 I hope you guys give it a listen.

This chapter is dedicated to Jessiquk!

Enjoy!

***

* Jamie Watson *

"Don't be nervous" Nate murmured placing his hand on my shoulder and giving it an encouraging squeeze as we locked eyes in the mirror.

I nodded as if I was listening to his advice when in reality I couldn't control the uneasy feeling inside of my body."I can't help it" I shuttered my worry growing just from thinking about what was about to happen "everyone knows about Carter" I whispered as his gaze narrowed in on me and a wave of disgust flowed through his body from hearing his name.

"They won't care about that" he assured me turning my body around so I was now facing him "all that matters is that you're their Luna. Besides, they will love you" he vowed though I didn't feel as confident as he seemed. He smiled down at me, looking pleased with everything he was seeing.

How could any of their packs mates respect me after knowing I betrayed Carter? All of the elders watched him grow up and all of the children were used to him being here and because of me, he was gone. "I wouldn't say love me I'd be lucky if they didn't hate me" I retorted sadly staring into his beautiful blues as a frown dominated his face. "It's my own fault" I shrugged trying to push it off but he wouldn't have that.

"You did nothing wrong, Jamie, you had no choice but to love me" he confirmed a deep feeling of desolation consuming his body thinking that was the truth.

"That's not true" I fought back grabbing his forearms as his hands held my hips lightly. "I had choices Nate and I chose you" I assured him pushing myself between his arms and resting my head on his chest just wanting to hear his wolf's contentment. I listened to his heartbeat, a slow steady pattern of satisfaction as he held me.

He remained quiet for a minute as if he was in deep thought and carefully planning out his words. "I took away your choices when I marked you" he grunted unhappily. "If I didn't claim you right now you would be happy and with Carter."

I pulled back needing to look at his face as his features matching his wolf's feelings- he was torn. The realization of this left him devastated like he thought I really didn't want him. "But I'm happy with you," I told him truthfully as he forced a smile on his lips. "Nate you can't think about what if because anything could have happened but this is happening" I pointed between the two of us "and I wouldn't change it for anything."

'Promise?' He spoke through our wolves as we just stared at one another unwilling to turn away. I grinned internally thinking about the first promise we ever made the night that he had marked me in this very room. When he promised me that if I had no feelings for him I would go back to Carter and he would leave us be. How naïve was I? To believe we wouldn't have a connection when my wolf was literally bowing down to his immediately.

I let my hand that was dangling grasp his as I entwined our pinkies. 'Pinky promise'.

****

* Carter Stone *

"How are you feeling?" The current Alpha of La Meute de La Lune Bleue questioned as soon as I walked down the staircase after standing at the top for ten minutes. Last night had to have been the worst night of my life by far. Even after the connection had been broken the intense pain didn't cease. Jamie was gone and she wasn't coming back but the memories of her were fully alive inside of me.