CHAPTER 37

JACKIE

I woke up to Roy’s light kiss on my lips. I looked at him and smiled. He smiled back at me and got on top of me not taking his eyes off me.
“You are so beautiful baby! Those eyes are driving me crazy.” I blushed and covered my eyes but he took my hands and held them on the bed tightly.
“You always blush when I say such things. You are even trembling under my skin.” He was chuckling.
“It’s the effect you have on me baby. I can’t help it.”
“I know. I feel the same way around you too. Ready for dinner today?”
“I’m more than ready baby. Can’t wait to see the reactions on my parent’s faces. They were both badly hurt by Mike’s issue and I know they are worried about me.”
“I know baby! I will give them no reason to doubt my love for you. I promise you that too. You, Braden and Ashley.” He kissed my belly and we both chuckled.
“It’s not Ashley baby. It’s a boy.”
“No! It’s a girl. I know how I shoot. It must be a girl.” He said grinning.
“Are you even listening to yourself baby? So you shoot girls? You are just crazy.” I said chuckling. He looked up at me and smiled.
“This is what you do to me. Just driving me crazy. I love you so much.”
“I love you more.”
“Let’s go downstairs. Terry, Ann, Dave and Allan will be here soon. They will help us with the arrangements. I want to make it the best. By the way I don’t want to see you working. I need you to just relax. I don’t want to lose this baby.” He said caressing my belly.
“Relax baby! You are just paranoid. The doctor said I should rest but it’s not a bed rest issue. I need to help out a bit. It will be part of my exercise. I won’t do anything to put our baby at risk.”
He smiled and got off the bed. He helped me put on a T-shirt and sweatpants. He always did that since we found out I was pregnant. He was so paranoid and was scared I might lose the baby. To him, even dressing myself was overworking. He dressed and we went downstairs hand in hand. The doorbell rang and we smiled. It was so early. I knew it was Terry. Roy went to open the door and Terry hugged him almost toppling him over. Allan stood behind them smiling with fascination.
“You will make me fall. What’s that for?” Roy asked chuckling.
“Girl’s stuff bro!”
She smiled and came to hug me. Roy shook Allan’s hand and led him inside.
“I have the latest gossip. Can’t wait to tell you and Ann.” She said giggling like a kid.
“ Hey Allan? Sorry about that. That’s how Terry can get.” I hugged him and smiled at him. Terry glared at me and we all chuckled.
“I will not even tell you that gossip!” She grinned and we burst out laughing.
“ I know you can’t keep it from me. I'm itching to hear it.”
“Women and gossip! This is what you will have to keep up with bro. The three of them can really gossip.” Roy grinned and we both glared at him.
“I think I will have to get used to that.” Allan said grinning too. The doorbell rang and Terry grinned.
“That must be Dave and Ann. I will get it.” She ran to open the door and took Ann's hand and pulled her inside. 
“So I'm not getting a hug from my little sister?”
“Later bro! Remind me to hug you later. For now we have to catch up with the latest gossip.” She pulled us into the kitchen and we left the men laughing.
“We are listening.” We both said at the same time.
“So Allan and I are taking it to the next level!” she was grinning like a teenager.
“Next level? What do you mean?” Ann asked giving her an amazed look.
“We started dating yesterday.”
“I thought you people were dating!” I said rolling my eyes.
“We were just all over each other but after what happened yesterday we thought we should try dating.”
“Did you?” We both asked shaking our heads.
“ You two are acting like mum. The looks you are giving me…”
“well! We are your elder sisters.” I said and rolled my eyes at her.
“To hell with the sister thing. Just roll your eyes but it can’t be undone.” She said making funny faces and we couldn’t help but chuckle.
“I’m so happy for you dear. I hope you are not wrong about him and tell him he will have us to deal with if he tries to hurt you.” I hugged her and she disentangled herself and smiled at me.
“Roy will have killed him by the time you reach him. I'm so happy.”
We all embraced and were disrupted by some coughs.
“We won’t finish up what we should do if all you do is gossip and hug!” Dave said grinning and we all glared at him.
“Can I have my wife back? You people will hurt my baby.” Roy said faking seriousness and we all chuckled. He wrapped his arm around my waist and grinned at them. We all got busy with the decorations and other preparations. The hired caterers had done their best in food preparation. We were done within no time and we inspected everything to make sure it was done to perfection.
“We will go upstairs and freshen up. The guests will be here soon. Terry and Ann, you know your way here. You can use any room to freshen up.” He took my hand and led me upstairs. He took my face in his hands once we were inside the room and kissed me deeply.
“I hope you are ready for tonight baby!”
“I’m ready Roy. Ready for anything.”
We took a shower and went to join the rest downstairs. The guests started streaming in and Terry, Jane and Ann helped us welcome them. My parents walked in and we went to meet them.
“Welcome mum! Welcome dad!” Roy said hugging them.
“Thanks son. Are you okay dear?” mum asked hugging me tightly. Dad just kept quiet and watched us smiling.
“Very okay mum. Roy takes great care of me.”
“ I can see that. Thanks for taking care of my daughter son.” Dad said giving him a bright smile.
“It’s my pleasure sir. Let us show you to your table.” We led them to the table with a parents tag on it. They were going to sit their together with Roy’s parents.
“Sit down and rest baby! You have done too much work today and it’s not good for the baby.”
“He is right Jackie. We will handle the rest.” Ann said with a bright smile on her face. Roy led me to our table and Terry came to keep me company. I saw Julie walk in and she came towards me to hug me.
“Hey girlfriend! She was smiling widely.
“Hey dear! I'm glad you came.”
“I couldn’t miss this at all. Let me join my colleagues. We will catch up later.” She smiled and went to join our colleagues on their table. Everyone was now settled down and Roy came and sat beside me on the table. Terry sat beside Allan and I could see them stealing glances at each other. Ann sat down beside Dave and Dave went to the podium. He was the master of ceremony. He took the microphone and cleared his throat.
“Ladies and gentleman, allow me to welcome you to this dinner organized by my brother, Roy and a very important woman in his life. I don’t know why he invited us here but he will tell you. Come here bro. We are all dying to know why we are here.” Roy looked at me and smiled. He squeezed my hand affectionately and went to the podium. All eyes were on him. He took the microphone from Dave and cleared his voice.
“ Thanks  for coming everyone. Before I proceed I will ask someone so important in my life to join me here on the podium. Come here love.” He looked at me and smiled beckoning me to join him. I rose amid applause and went to the podium. Everyone then went silent. He handed the microphone and got on his knees. What was he doing? It was a dinner to announce my pregnancy and he was kneeling before me.
“ You are so important in my life baby! I promised you happiness and that’s what I want to give you. I want to take our love to the next level and I want to do this before the people that matter to us. I want to build a family with you and wake up next to you every morning!”
What was he doing? I was so tensed. He reached for a box in his pocket and opened it. Inside it was a gold ring with all the beauty.
“ Will you marry me?” I gasped at his question. I hadn’t expected that. The room was quiet and everyone was waiting for my answer with anticipation. I felt tears of joy flowing down my face. He had surprised me with a marriage proposal. Something I didn’t expect.
“Yes! I will marry you baby!” I said taking his hands. He rose up and took my face in his hands and kissed me. Everyone was now cheering. He swooped me off the floor and swung me around amidst cheering. He then set me on the floor and wrapped his arm around my waist. He smiled and signaled for the audience to keep quiet.
He cleared his throat once more and began to speak.
“ That was one of the reasons but she had no idea about it. I will be crucified later on.” He said and everyone chuckled. Terry and Ann had stood up and they were grinning at me.
“We want to share some good news with you as our friends and family. This is the second reason for inviting you here. She is pregnant and we are expecting a baby.” There were gasps here and there and cheers filled the hall. I looked at our parents table and they were all smiling brightly. They hadn’t taken it negatively. They were happy. Roy took my hand and led me to our table. Everyone rose to congratulate us and the place was full of merry making.
“Congrats dear! I'm going to be a grandmother.” Roy’s mother said hugging me cheerfully.
“I’m glad that my son has found someone who makes him complete. Thanks for making him happy dear.” Roy’s dad said pulling me into a hug.
My parents approached us and hugged us happily.
“Congrats to you both. We wish you all the happiness in this world.” They said in unison. We smiled at them and everyone sat down to eat.
“ I love you Mrs. Roy!” Roy said grinning at me.
“She is not a Mrs. Yet. We need the wedding.” Terry said and we all chuckled. I took his face in my hands and smiled at him.
“I love you too Mr. Roy.”