CHAPTER FOUR

“Take your son and get out of my house bitch! If you can’t obey Vickie then I think you have nothing else to do in this house!”
Mike glared at me. It was clear that he was so angry. He had gone for a work trip and we had been left in the house with Vickie and Braden. I always washed clothes for Mike and Vickie and cooked for them. They had always overworked me. I had entertained it all but Mike going on that trip was  a holiday for me. The only person I would take care of was Braden. Vickie would do her washing and cooking. Little did I know what the outcome would be.
“What did I do now  Mike? How have I not obeyed her?”
A slap landed on my face. Braden tried walking towards  him and he pushed him away roughly. He fell down and started crying. I picked him up quickly. This broke my heart.
“So you decided not to cook for her and you refused to wash her clothes! You even burnt some of them when she asked you to wash them!”
“What? I didn’t burn any clothes.” I looked at Vickie. “Why do you have to lie to him Vickie? Isn’t taking him away from me enough? You are such a slut!”
Mike kicked me hard on the stomach and I growled in pain. Braden screamed. It was so devastating for him. “Don’t you ever call her a slut again. Take your son and leave this house! I don’t want to see you here again!”
I knelt down before him. “what changed such that you choose another woman over your son? Why all this?”
Vickie sneered at me. “Disgusting! Can’t you listen to him? Take your brat and get out of this house!”
“Okay! I won’t fight for this anymore. Let me take some few things and leave!”
“Be fast woman. This house is filled with your terrible stench!”
His words hurt more than anything else. I packed some clothes for Braden and my academic documents. I didn’t have time to pack anything else because they threw us out roughly. We had nowhere to go so we sat by the roadside. That’s when you found us sir!
I looked at Jane and she was in tears. Roy was trying to blink away his tears too. My story had touched them. Roy handed me a handkerchief. I wiped away my tears. Jane sat beside me and rubbed my back. It was a motherly touch.
“Oooh dear! You have been through a lot. Everything will be okay.” She said rubbing my back. She was so loving.
“Sorry about what you have been through Jacky. There is room in this house. You can live with us.” His look was so warm.
“Thanks but I don’t want to be a burden to you sir. I will have to look for a place of my own.”
“it’s not a burden to me Jackie. Why don’t you go get some rest and we will talk tomorrow?”
“Okay sir. Thanks and good night.”
“Good night too Jacky.”
Jane gave me a warm smile and I went to the bedroom. I lay in bed thinking about the past events and I was grateful to God for giving me shelter for the night.