CHAPTER 26

I was busy with work when Roy stormed in. I looked at his face and knew something was wrong. Worry was written all over his face. His eyes were red and he was restless. I could tell that he had been crying. He came towards me and took me in his arms. He hugged be tightly as he ran his hands through my hair. I could hear him breathing heavily and I knew something was amiss. It was unlike him to behave that way.
“I'm sorry baby!” He said caressing my back.
“Sorry for what? I don’t get why you are like this. What’s  the problem?”
“I'm sorry for not fulfilling my promise.”
I tensed at his words. Was he going to leave me like Mike? Then he was doing it too gently. I disentangled myself from him and looked him into the eyes. I saw a tear drop from them and I wiped it with my hand.
“Are you leaving me by any chance?” I was at the verge of tears.
He pulled me back to him and I felt him tremble. That was not something good.
“Not that baby. I'm not leaving you.”
“Then what is it? You are driving me crazy. What is it about you not fulfilling your promise?”
“I promised to protect you and Braden and I have failed to do it. Forgive me baby.”
“But we are all okay.” I ran my fingers on his back to reassure him.
“No. Braden is not. Your ex-husband took him.”
I disentangled myself from him and grasped the table for support. It could not be true. There was no way Braden would go missing just like that. Roy was playing games with me. Tears clouded my eyes and I let them flow unrestrained. Roy  hugged me from behind and caressed my arms.
“ please tell me you are lying baby. Tell me it’s one of your jokes.”
He held me tightly and I sobbed in his arms. I let all the tears flow freely wetting his shirt. He didn’t mind at all. He held my face in his hands and looked into my eyes.
“ Look at me baby. I'm going to bring Braden back to you today. I will not let that pig get away with it. He is his real father but that is kidnapping. Relax darling. We are going to have Braden with us today.”
I clutched him tightly and continued sobbing uncontrollably. I tried to speak but I couldn’t. He wrapped his arm on my waist and dialed a number on the phone.
“ Kindly come to Jackie’s office Julie. She needs you.”
He hanged up and looked at me with pity in his eyes. He was trying hard to blink away his tears. He helped me sit and sat beside me pulling me to him. Julie came in almost immediately and got alarmed on seeing the state we were in.
“ what happened sir? Why is Jackie like this?”
“That mike guy took away her son. The driver will be here in a few minutes to take you two home. Please stay with her. She needs your support. I'm going to look for our son.”
“No Roy. I need to look for my son too. I can’t stay still without knowing where my son is. Let me go with you.”
“Please don’t be stubborn baby. Let me do this. I won’t come home without Braden today. We can’t stay without his laughter in that house. Please!!”
Pity was written all over his face. He was at the verge of breaking down.
“Where was the security guard when all this happened? Why didn’t the driver do something?”
“Don’t get like this baby. The security guard had gone  to get something to eat from the house. The driver was out on some errands. It's a neighbour who described the man who took Braden away and that’s how I knew it was that son of a bitch. He will pay for this.”
He folded his hand into a fist and walked out in anger. I hauled myself at Julie and she hugged me tightly. She was crying too. She had gotten used to Braden and they had become good friends. She referred to him as her godson. I knew she was hurting too.
I sat down and held my head in my hands. I had failed as a mother. I should have stayed at home with him but all I did was go to work and leave him with Jane. It hurt me so badly. Where would I even start? How would I survive without him? I didn’t want to think about that at the moment. It would drive me crazy. I was dying inside.
“Let me take my things dear. The driver is here.”
I looked at her and just nodded. She came back after a minute and took my bag. We walked past the reception and the ladies there tried asking what was wrong but Julie waved them off politely. We got to the house and I ran into Jane’s arms. I needed a motherly hug and she was like a second mother to Roy and me.
“Oooh Jackie! I'm sorry for all this. It was as a result of my irresponsibility. I should not have left him in the lawn alone.” I hugged her more tightly. Her eyes were red because of crying.
“No Jane. You are not to blame.”
She made some coffee and we all sat down waiting anxiously for Roy to come back. Everyone was lost in their own thoughts. I was becoming impatient. I looked at the time and it was already 7 with no trace of Roy and Braden. Jane and Julie tried talking me into sleeping but I could hear none of it. I was dying inside me. I was completely shattered. All our eyes were fixed on the door expectant of Roy’s arrival.
We heard the door open and we all got startled. I tensed hoping against hope that he had come back with Braden. Roy appeared at the door with Braden in his arms. He had a bright smile on his face. I ran towards them and he handed Braden to me. I held him tightly fearing to lose him again. I let tears flow down my face. They were tears of both fear and relief.
“ Thanks baby. Thanks for bringing him back to me. I don’t know what would have happened if you didn’t come to our lives. I'm indebted to you.” I handed Braden to Jane and kissed him passionately. I didn’t care about Jane’s and Julie’s presence. He took my face in his hands and kissed me back. Julie coughed and Jane joined in. Roy let me go and we looked at them. They were grinning.
“Go to your room already.” Julie said and we all laughed.
“ We were carried away and forgot that you are here. Thanks for supporting her Julie. It’s already late. Why don’t you sleep here tonight.”
“ Anytime Roy. I can’t. I don’t have clothes to wear tomorrow.”
“ Jackie will get you something to wear. You two are the same size.”
“ yes Julie. Just spend the night here. I have some dresses that will fit you.” She smiled at me and I knew it was a yes.
“ I will spend the night here then.”
“Something else, you two are good at gossiping. That can wait until tomorrow. I want my wife to myself tonight.”
I blushed and punched him softly in the stomach. We all burst out laughing. We sat down to have dinner and everyone was cheerful.  I put Braden to sleep in his crib and Jane assured me that she would not take her eyes off him the whole night. I went to our room and Roy helped me take off my clothes and take a shower. He drew away the duvet and I got into bed. He lay beside me and held be tightly.
“Sleep baby. It has been a long day and your eyes are red and swollen.”
He kissed me on the forehead and I stayed awake for long but I finally fell asleep.