CHAPTER 23

It was now four months and my love life had changed greatly. I was so happy with Roy and Braden had grown fond of him. He had learnt to look up to him as a father and they went out sometimes without me.
Work was good and everyone knew that I was dating Roy. They accorded me the same respect they had for Roy and always recoiled from me when we met on the corridors. I tried being  friendly with them but their fear for me and Roy didn’t change. I made some more friends though Julie had become my best friend.
We were out on a walk when I spotted Vickie and mike. Roy had Braden in his one arm and was holding my hand with the other hand. I gasped on seeing them. They looked miserable. I  hadn’t seen or heard  from Vickie and Mike after the coffee date with Julie and it surprised me to see them in such a situation. Their clothing  said it all. Mike looked like he was in his forties. Julie looked worse. She had a darker complexion and she looked older than her age. I felt like smiling at their misfortune.
Roy spotted them and smiled. They recoiled as we approached them. Those were the same people who had looked down on me and had done everything to humiliate me. Roy wrapped his hand on my waist as we approached them. We reached where they were and they looked down in shame. Karma was at work.
“Hey Vickie? Hey Mike? Good to see you here?”
I said with sarcasm and Roy held me tightly. He looked at Vickie with hatred in his eyes. He hated her with passion. She sneered. She hadn’t stopped the habit.
“We didn’t know we would run into you here.” Mike said focusing his gaze on Braden. Braden covered Roy’s eyes playfully and Roy bit his fingers softly. Braden chuckled. I looked at Mike and he swallowed bitterly. I smiled. Someone was revenging for me.
“Oooh! We thought we would stroll around. What happened to you both? You look terrible. Maybe we can help.” Roy said faking concern as a smile twitched on his lips.
“ I lost my job and my husband was demoted. I have been looking for a job without any success. They end up rejecting me.” Vickie said trying to fight back tears. I didn’t feel any remorse. She had treated me terribly and she was paying for all that.
“Which company was that?” Roy asked with a smile still twitched on his lips.
“Some company by the name Roy enterprises. The CEO said that I was incompetent and he wanted me to be replaced by someone else. I don’t know how he knew I was incompetent and I had never seen him there. I heard he has another company and that’s where he is based.” She said with tears filling her eyes.
“Are you sure you didn’t mess up somewhere? What’s the name of the other company?” Roy asked with no expression on his face.
“Something like Lee holdings. I don’t really remember the name.” She said in the verge of tears.
I looked at Roy and gasped. Lee holdings was his company and if I was not wrong Roy enterprises was his too. He tightened his arm on my waist and kissed me on the forehead. He then smiled at me assuringly. I didn’t have to revenge. He had revenged on my behalf and hadn’t mentioned anything about it to me. It was another surprise from him.
“What about you dude? Why were you demoted?” he was playing games and he was so good at it. I sensed he was up to something.
“I was just told that I hadn’t qualified for the position and was just demoted.” I could see that Mike was composed and trying to be strong.
“Just like that? That’s weird!”
“Yeah! We have been trying to manage.” Mike said looking into the distant.
“Don’t you think that’s what we call karma? What did you do to Jackie? You are being punished by God for humiliating her. Anyway, I know it’s hard and I’m willing to help you. I can try and fix you somewhere in my company Vickie. I don’t know whether that’s your name.” He said with a hard face.
“I will really appreciate. How do I contact you?” Vickie asked excitedly.
Roy took out his wallet and gave Vickie his business card. Vickie read the name on the card and I liked her expression. It was full of anger.
“what! Lee holdings! You are the same person that got me sacked. Thanks but no. I don’t really need that Job. I will look for a job in other companies.” She said breathing heavily. Mike couldn’t believe it. He looked from me to Roy in amazement. It was clear that he was shocked. Roy was so calm and he just smiled.
“Take it or leave it. It’s either that or you won’t get a job in this town. You have tried without success, do you still think you will get one?” I loved his cheerful expressions.
“So you are behind my demotion too? Why are you so evil? Why would you do something like this to a fellow human being?” Mike was so irritated.
“Exactly! Why would I do something like that to a fellow human being? What about you? What did you do to Jackie? Was that not evil? Did you think you would get away with that easily? Remember my words. I told you that you had your jobs to worry about and you were messing with the wrong person. You should be grateful that I didn’t have you sacked. I'm capable of that. So Victoria, call that number if you need a job. My secretary will be on the line for you. Have a good day. Let’s go baby!”
He took my hand and we left Mike and Vickie there and Vickie leaned on Mike’s shoulder and sobbed. He put Braden on the car seat and took his place behind the wheel. I touched his hand and he looked at me and smiled.
“You did that baby?” I asked in a whisper.
“yes baby. They messed with you and by doing that they were messing up with me too. They are paying for what they did.”
“You didn’t tell me anything about that.”
“ I knew you would not approve of it. Are you pitying them?”
“Not at all. Let them pay. Thanks for standing up for me. What job will you give Vickie?”
“We are in shortage of the kitchen staff. I need a tea girl.” He grinned and I chuckled. He pulled me for a kiss and we left for home. That was my man.