CHAPTER TEN

"I have no idea what I'm supposed to say to that. It was totally unexpected." I said and he stared at me blankly for a long moment before he nodded.
"I understand. It's too soon and we barely know each other..."
I quickly cut him off. "It's not about that. You know I just came from a very abusive relationship. I don't think I want to get myself in such a mess again."
Tears burned my eyes even as I said that. The months of torture in my previous relationship flooded through my mind and I quickly shut them off. I was supposed to be moving on, not dwelling on it.
Roy touched my arm and I recoiled from him. I knew that he wouldn't hurt me but I just couldn't help it.
He tensed beside me and fisted his hands angrily.
"That bastard really hurt you. I hope we never cross ways again because if we do, he's going to be a walking dead." He said angrily.
I felt a glow from within. I had never had someone caring for me that much. Maybe I could learn to like him...but then again no. I didn't want to put myself in such a vulnerable position again. I didn't want any man to have so much power over me. I didn't want to get hurt.
Yet again.
"It's fine really. I'll just avoid him totally." I said quietly and Roy nodded
"Good. And he better stay away from you. I don't think you'll be running into him though. You two are living in 2 totally due different worlds now."
"My husband can be really hard headed. He can find me very easily if he wants to..."
"It's ex-husband and no he wouldn't be able to find you. I'll make sure of that."
He holds my face between his hands and he doesn't relent when I flinch.
"Don't recoil from me Jackie. I would never hurt you. You know that, don't you?" He asked earnestly while looking deep into my eyes and I bit my lip to keep from blushing furiously.
"I don't know Roy.. I don't know...."
My voice had dropped into a whisper.
"Don't be scared of me. I have your best interests at heart. I care about you..keep that in mind, okay?"
He was whispering too and I nodded uncertainly.
He stepped away from me and took my hand. We were both quiet while we walked back to the house. I was aware that my heart was beating a little bit too fast and his hand was too warm in mine.
We walked upstairs to my bedroom and he opened the door for me. Braden was not in bed and assumed that he was with the maid.
I sat on the bed while Roy leaned on the door.
"I will leave you to get some rest. I guess I'll see you tomorrow after work."
Oh, I  had almost forgotten that he had to work. I couldn't imagine the house without him. It'd be a bit weird.
"I guess I'll see you then." I said and he nodded.
"You better take care of yourself and Braden."
"I sure will. Thanks again."
"Don't keep thanking me. I did what anyone else would have done."
He gave me a last glance then left, locking the door behind him.
I released the breath I hadn't realised I was holding. Where did guys like him come from?
My jacket was too warm around me and I made to remove it. A whiff of his scent caught my nostrils and stilled halfway. I brought the suede material to my nose and took a deep breath. It smelt of perfume and that heady masculine scent that was purely Roy.
There was no way I was going to take it off. I pulled it closer around myself then got into bed.
I closed my eyes and drifted into sleep in no time.
That night, I dreamed of as tall handsome guy  with brown chocolatey eyes.