CHAPTER NINE

He stood there without saying anything and his presence made me feel uncomfortable. He somehow intimidated me.
“Give me your documents Jacky. I will see if I can get you a job in our company or some other company.”
“Thanks sir. Let me get them for you.”
I took the documents from my handbag and gave them to him. He didn’t leave. He just stood there looking at me.
“Are you okay Roy?”
“Am okay. Just wanted to ask if you mind joining me for a walk.”
“Now? What about Braden?”
“Don’t worry. Jane will take care of him. She told me he was great company and so behaved. Is it a yes or a no?”
“Okey, it’s a yes. I hope we won’t take long. It’s late already.”
“ We won’t be long. Will be waiting for you in the sitting room.”
He smiled and left. I liked him already. His wife would be so lucky to have a man like him. He was just so perfect. I didn’t need to change. We would not be taking long. I gave Braden a peck and went to join him in the sitting room. The walk was doing me good. The fresh breeze made my problems disappear. I just enjoyed the sight of the moon. We walked in silence each one lost in their own thoughts just enjoying what nature had given us.
Roy suddenly stopped and pulled me to him. It was unexpected and it surprised me. I didn’t know how I was supposed to react to that.
“Ooh Jacky!”
That’s all he managed to say. We remained on that position for few minutes before he let me go and started talking.
“ I don’t know how to start this because of what you have been through but I want to say it and let all this go. I like you a lot. I have just known you for barely two days and I feel something for you. I have tried brushing it away but I can’t. It’s hard to brush it away. I want you Jacky! I know this is so soon but I want you to be my girlfriend.”
My mouth was agape by the time he finished talking. I hadn’t expect such a confession. What would I tell him? How was I supposed to respond to such a confession? Was I even ready for a relationship after what had happened. To make matters worse, we were like strangers to each other. I looked at him and his eyes were burning into mine. It was like he was beseeching me to say something.
I suddenly felt cold and started shivering. I don’t know if it was because of fear or whether it was the cold. He took off his jacket and helped put it on. He took my hand and kissed my knuckles.
“Please say something Jacky! Don’t be silent on me.”
I tried to speak but nothing came out of my mouth. I finally managed to speak.