CHAPTER 27

ROY’S P.O.V

I was seated in my office admiring Jackie’s pictures on my computer when my cell phone rang. I looked at the screen and tensed at who the caller was. Jane had never called me or Jackie at work. We always called her to know if everything was okay at home. Her calling  was all strange for me. Something was amiss. Braden? That was the first thing that came to my mind. I sighed heavily and picked the call.
“Hello Roy?”
Her sound confirmed my fear. It was full of tension and it was as if she had been crying.
“Hey Jane? Are you okay? Is Braden okay?”
“ Braden has been kidnapped Roy. I don’t know what to do.”
“ What did you say?”
“He was playing in the lawn when he was kidnapped.” I could hear her sobbing on the phone.”
“Have you said anything to Jackie?”
“Not yet. I wanted to inform you first. I didn’t know how to tell her. She would break down.”
“Just relax and don’t tell her anything. I'm on my way.”
I hanged up and clenched my hand into a fist. I hit the table in anger. Braden missing? How did it even happen? How would I face Jackie and tell her  her son was missing and I was a jackass because I didn’t keep my promise of protecting them? How would I break her heart and watch her get shattered after what she had been through in the past? And Braden? How lonely would the house be without him? I loved him like my own son and I shivered at Jane’s words.
I felt tears cloud my eyes and I blinked them away. I had to do something. I wouldn’t watch Jackie get shattered like in the past. It hurt to see her crying and I didn’t want her to go that line again. I would find Braden and bring him back to her. I took my cellphone and the car keys and walked out of the office.
“ I will be back after sometime Julie. I have a meeting with some clients outside town. Cancel my appointments for today.”
I lied to her about the meeting. I didn’t want her to tell Jackie anything. She would get worried and that’s what I was avoiding. I drove like a maniac and left the other drivers cursing and hurling all sorts of insults at me. I didn’t care. What mattered was finding Braden and taking him back home safely. I reached home and Jane and the security guard came running towards me. I looked at the security guard and he stepped back in fear.
“Where the hell were you when all this was happening Kelvin? What do I pay you for?” I glared at him and I saw him tremble.
“ I’m sorry sir! I had gone to take my food from the house. I didn’t expect it would happen.”
“You didn’t expect? What do I pay you for?”
He tried talking but he ended up stammering with fear. I looked at him and pitied him. Maybe I was overreacting but we were talking about my son.
“ Okay Kelvin. Tell me exactly what happened.”
“ I walked out of the house and saw a man put Braden into a car and he drove off fast.”
“Can you describe the man for me?”
“No sir. I didn’t get to see his face. Ken saw him though. He can describe him.”
“Who is Ken?”
“ He is Mr. Arnold’s guard.”
Arnold was my neighbour. I walked out of the gate fast with them following me closely behind. Ken's description of the kidnapper confirmed my suspicion. It was Jackie’s ex-husband. That pig! He had the nerve to kidnap my son! I would make him pay!
I got into the car and drove to their place hoping against all hope they hadn’t moved. I left the car door open and ran to the house. I pressed the door bell but no one opened the door. I spotted their neighbour and asked him whether they still lived there and he told me they did but were at the verge of being thrown out because of accumulated arrears. I thanked him and got into my car. I hit the steering wheel in anger and cursed.
Where the hell was Mike? Where would I look for Braden? How would I tell Jackie that her son had been kidnapped and I wasn’t able to find him? I couldn’t keep it from her. It was her son and she had to know he was missing. And Mike? How would I find him? The answer was in Vickie. Yes, the slut would lead me to her husband. Jane kept on calling me but I ignored her calls. I knew what she wanted to know and I didn’t want to disappoint her.
I drove to the office and went to fourth floor where Jackie’s office was. The ladies at the reception were busy on their phones and I got pissed off. I banged their desk and they stared at me with fear in their eyes.
“ I don’t pay you to stay on your phones the whole day. I have had enough of you two. If you don’t want this job the door is just there!”
I bellowed at them and saw them tremble with fear.
“We are sorry sir. It won’t happen again.”
“If this happens again I will have you terminated. Get back to work.”
I was taking out my anger on other people but I couldn’t help it. They were so happy yet I was shattered. They got busy and I walked to Jackie’s office. I pulled her to me and held her tightly. She noticed my expression and I felt her tense against my skin. Her first question was whether I was leaving her but assured her it was not the case. I was never going to leave her. She was my everything and she made me complete. Her relationship with the staff both at home and at work was so good. She was the woman of my dreams.
How was I going to tell her her son was missing? How was I going to break the news to her? I had no option but to tell her. I broke the news to her and watched her shatter. She broke down in tears and I couldn’t help but pity her. I found myself sobbing too. The woman I loved was breaking down in my arms and it hurt me deeply. I had to find our son and make her happy again.
I left her with Julie and went to look for Vickie. She would lead me to her husband. I found her seated in the lobby and approached her faking a smile on my face. She saw me and looked down with fear. I hated her with passion but I had to do what I wanted to do for Braden and Jackie.
“Hey Vickie? Mind going somewhere with me?” I asked her cheerfully.
“Sure sir! Why not? Let me change and we can go.” She said smiling at me seductively. Disgusting! She disgusted me and the thought of her sitting in my car disgusted me more. We got into the car and I drove off. I could see her lifting her skirt to expose her thighs but I ignored and focused on the road. We reached somewhere and I parked by the road side.
“Now Vickie. We are not here because I like you or something of that sort. I want you to call your husband and tell him to meet you at Malvin’s café. I need to meet him. Don’t mention me anywhere in your conversation.”
She took her phone trembling and called Mike. He agreed to her request and met her at the café. He was carrying Braden in his arms and my anger rose. I went to where they were and grabbed Braden from his hands. I placed Braden on a seat and punched him hard in the stomach.
“That’s for kidnapping Braden you disgusting pig.” I hit him again and held him by the collar.
“ That’s  for Jackie’s tears son of a bitch. Try it again and I will kill you!” I threw him on the floor and he growled in pain. We were attracting a crowd but it didn’t bother me. I wanted to deal with him first.
“He is my son and I will take him away from you. You will pay for this.” Mike said writhing in pain. The security guards were called but on seeing me they just stepped back and watched from a distance.
“Daddy!” Braden called to me and I took him in my hands and held him tightly. He covered my eyes playfully and chuckled. He was used to that.
“you try that and I will kill you. You should thank me for not having you arrested.”
I hit him hard in the stomach and left him growling in pain and the crowd screaming with fear. I put Braden in the car seat and drove home. I entered the house and Jackie ran to me  happily. Seeing her happy was all that mattered to me. I had fulfilled my promise of taking our son back to her.