CHAPTER FIVE

I woke up early the next day feeling relaxed. I had had a restful night for once after vickie had come to our lives. I looked at my son and he was already awake. I smiled at him and he smiled back. He was my strength no matter what we had gone through. I tickled him and he started laughing. His laughter had always given me the strength and the will to live. I couldn’t help but smile. He meant everything to me. I carried him and went to the kitchen where Jane was making breakfast.
“Morning madam Jane?”
“Oooh dear! Just call me Jane. You look cheerful today! You had a good night?”
“Yes Jane! My night was awesome. I will always be grateful to you and Sir Roy. I don’t want to imagine what would have happened to us if he didn’t help us. You people are so kind.”
“Roy is always like that dear. He has a great heart.”
“Yeah Jane. I owe him my life. Let him help you with breakfast.”
“Just rest. I will do it.”
“I still insist.”
She shrugged and gave me a broad smile. It was a yes. I placed Braden on the couch and helped her with breakfast. We did it chatting cheerfully and she was so careful not to mention the failed marriage. I helped her set the table and went back to the kitchen to feed my son. Someone appeared at the door and I turned to look. Roy looked good in his grey suit. I could tell it had cost a fortune. I noticed how handsome he was.
“Good morning sir!”
“Please Jackie, don’t call me sir. Just call me Roy. Good morning too.”
I blushed and I don’t know why I was blushing. I looked at him and noticed his lips twitch with a smile. He had noticed that I was shy. Maybe it was because I felt inferior in his presence.
“Join us at the table Jacky.”
“Let me feed him first. The table will be in a mess if we join you. He is naughty you know.”
He laughed at that. It’s okay. I love kids. Just join us and Jane will clean it up after that. You know you can’t stop him from playing. He will be so uncomfortable and you wouldn’t want him to hate his new found uncle.”
He took Braden’s hand and led us to the table. Braden was laughing cheerfully. He had not known how to walk perfectly but it excited him. He sat him on a chair beside him and I sat down beside Braden to feed him.
“Am going to work Jackie. Jane will be with you so just feel at home. I will come early though. I want us to go for your stuff in that house if that is okay with you.”
I took a deep breath. I shuddered at the thought of Mike hurting us again. That house had turned to a nightmare. I even had marks on my body because of that. I was scared of going back to that house even if it was taking my things. I blinked away my tears. They both noticed that I was now uncomfortable. Jane rose and came to sit beside me. She rubbed by back and Roy took my hand and rubbed it.
“Don’t worry Jacky. I will be there with you. They won’t harm you and your son anymore. They won’t dare. I will protect you. Trust me on this. Will you trust me?”
I felt some comfort at his words. I nodded and he smiled. They were total strangers to me but I felt so comfortable and safe with them. I wished all people were like that and the world would be a better place to live in. Roy left after giving some instructions to Jane. I helped Jane with the house work and we sat and chatted the rest of the day away. We both played with Braden and watched the telly.
She took me round the house and everything in there looked expensive. Other posh cars were parked outside. I hadn’t noticed that the previous night because of my tribulations. How could one be that rich? He was so rich yet he had a great heart. I always thought negatively of the rich people.
Roy came back home and took a shower. He changed to casual wear and we drove off to Mike’s place. We left Braden with Jane. I was still nervous and Roy squeezed my hand with assurance. We pressed the door bell and it took long before someone finally opened  the door.