CHAPTER TWELVE

It was finally evening. The hours had really dragged by. Maybe it’s because I wanted to see Roy. The house felt empty without him  around. I don’t know why it felt empty but maybe it was because he was the owner. Right? He would be home in a few. The thought of him made a tinge of excitement flow through my body. I still wanted to know whether he had succeeded in getting me a job but we all know that was not the main cause of excitement.
I had helped Jane with supper and we were seated watching TV when Roy came here. I breathed a sigh of relief. I hadn’t realized the effect he had on me. Jane walked towards him and took his briefcase. She was so sweet.
“I will help you with this sir,” she said cheerfully.
It's Roy Jane. I keep on telling you not to call me sir,” Roy said giving her a smile. I could tell he had a soft for her through that smile.
“Ooh Roy! You know am used to that! I will try. I can even call you son, she said cheerfully. It was a motherly warmth.
“That’s even better. You know you are like a mother to me. Thanks a lot. Put the briefcase in my study.”
She gave him a smile and left for his study. He came towards me with a bright smile on his face. That smile was driving me crazy. He sat next to me and held my hands in his. I shivered involuntarily. This time round, it was not as a result of fear but some excitement. He rubbed my hands affectionately.
“Just relax dear. Am not going to hurt you,” he looked into my eyes and I blushed.
“I’m okay Roy, just trying to get used to this.”
“I have good news. I managed to get you a job in our company. You can start on Monday since tomorrow is a weekend. I hope you are okay.”
I didn’t believe it. It was too fast. I was so excited that I didn’t realize I was hugging him tightly. When I did, I broke the embrace and turned away with embarrassment. It was so embarrassing.
“I’m sorry about the hug Roy. It was so unnecessary of me. I shouldn’t have. I'm just so excited and…” He cut me short and placed his finger on my lips. I trembled at his touch.
“Ssh! It’s okay. I don’t have a problem with you hugging me. Don’t feel guilty about it. Okay?” I nodded. Thanks God he understood.
“So, what type of a job is it? I can do any but I just want to know.”
“Mmmh! You will get to know that on Monday. It’s a surprise. You were to think about something and give me the answer when I get home. What's the answer? Are you going out with me? Please say yes!” He gave me a beseeching look.
“Yeah, I did and why not! I will go out with you. It’s a yes.”
“Thanks Jackie. Let me freshen up and I will be with you in a few.” He said excitedly. He drew me to him and kissed my forehead. He then went upstairs. He left me there and all I did was wear a silly smile on my face.
Jane came and sat beside me.
“Ooh Darling! You have gotten my boy smitten. He has this unexplainable joy and he has a sweet smile on his face since you two went for that walk yesterday.”
I laughed at her statement. Roy smitten! He was like other men and he would just have his fun and leave me begging in the streets. He was not to be trusted too.
“Come on Jane. He is like other men of course. I don’t see any smitten there.”
“No my dear girl. I have never seen him like this for long. Let’s wait and see. Anyway, he has told me you two are going out. Let’s get you dressed and ready.”
She led me to the bedroom and we both settled on a white dinner dress and black heels. I looked at myself in the mirror and all the troubles I had gone through had been erased and replaced with elegance. Roy had helped me choose the clothes after Vickie had burnt mine and he had a great taste. Braden was still asleep. I gave him a peck and took a black porch. I went to the sitting room and Roy was there waiting for me. He looked amazing. He was just an epitome of male beauty.
He gave me a seductive smile and murmured “wow” in my ears. He took my hand and led me to the car. He opened my door and went to his side. He looked at me and nodded.
“You look beautiful Jackie.”
His words made me tremble. I said a thank you and he drove towards our destination.