CHAPTER THREE

I was coiled on the couch when they came back past midnight so drunk and Vickie was behaving in a slutty manner. She saw me and entangled her hands on Mike’s neck. She kissed him in my presence and he did not push her away. They kissed passionately and I shifted on the couch uncomfortably. I fought back my tears.
“Should I sleep in your arms tonight?” Vickie asked seductively. I swallowed bitterly.
“No love. Let me sleep with my ugly wife tonight. This is for my son.”
“Okay love! As long as all your love belongs to me. You can sleep with the beggar.”
I had tried hard not to cry but tears of bitterness just flowed freely. They had called me ugly and a beggar. They separated and Vickie went to the guest room. Mike went upstairs to our room. I was left there letting all the tears flow. Mike had never behaved in such a manner towards me. He had called me ugly and that hurt me more.
I had been awake for long and I needed to rest. I went to our room and he was spread on the whole bed. He had slept with his shoes on and all that could be heard was his snoring. The room smelt of alcohol. I stood there for a while staring at him. I then shifted my gaze to Braden. He was sleeping peacefully oblivious of what was happening.
I walked towards the bed and pulled his shoes out. He had hurt me but he was still my husband. I tried pushing him to get enough space but he just snorted and I stopped I didn’t want to disturb him. I changed into a nightdress and squeezed myself at one end of the bed. It took long for me to sleep but I finally slept.
I was woken up by a hard slap on my face. “Get up you lazy woman! We need breakfast and you are just lazing on my bed. Go and make breakfast or you can as well take your things and leave.” Mike bellowed. His loud voice made Braden wake up with a shriek. “Braden is awake Mike. Let me attend to him first please.”
“Do I look like I care? Do your magic but I need my breakfast.”
He banged the door and left the room. I was left there transfixed on the ground. I was confused and my son’s loud crying brought me back to the reality. I took him and carried him on a baby carrier. That would make the work easier. I had now been turned to a house help. I went downstairs and passed by Vickie’s room. I could hear some voices inside there and I knew what they were up to. I proceeded to the kitchen and prepared breakfast.
I set the table and went to the kitchen to feed Braden. I was now like a stranger in my own house. I heard the door being opened and closed. I knew they had left. I would have some peace for the rest of the day. Mike hadn’t bothered leaving money for food. We survived with what was there.
Life became very miserable for me. Everything was not the same again. They mistreated us but I still didn’t leave. I stayed with the hope that Mike would change but it never happened. Things became worse. They came home from work one day and Mike stormed into the kitchen where I was making supper.
“I want you to move your things from my bedroom. You will use the guest room and Vickie will move my things to my bedroom. Am I clear?”
“why are you doing this Mike? Do you forget that we have a son together?”
I gave him a beseeching look and all I got was a slap.
“Okay! I will do as you say.”
Tears welled up and I hated Vickie. I hated her for what I was going through. She had destroyed my marriage. So evil.