CHAPTER 35

ROY’S P.O.V

Becky called me that afternoon and said she had something important to discuss with me and we couldn’t talk via the phone. I refused at first but when she said it was about Jay I had to give in. Jay was not my real son but I loved him with my everything. I dedicated my life to making him comfortable and happy. We rarely talked with Becky. I just sent her money for upkeep and that was all. Her calling about Jay was of course something important.
I left without telling Jackie where exactly I was going. Telling her would mean bringing up my past with her and I was not ready to tell her yet. I lied to her that I was meeting with a friend and it was something important. She didn’t object to it. She never had issues with me meeting my friends. She respected my personal space and I loved her more for that. She had plans with Terry too. The two had grown so fond of each other and had become so close.
She was like that with my whole family and they even went shopping with mum, Ann and Terry. She was the woman of my dreams and her pregnancy summed it all. I loved her with all my being. I ran some errands and drove to the restaurant where I was supposed to meet Becky. I walked to where she was seated and she rose up to greet me. She kissed me unexpectedly and I pushed her away. We settled down opposite each other and the next thing I saw was Jackie and Terry looking down at us. Terry was so angry and all she did was glare at us. Jackie on the other hand had a confused expression. I didn’t know how I would explain that what she had seen was all a misunderstanding.
I rose up to kiss her but she pushed me away. She was freaking mad at me. What would I do to make her believe me? How would I go about it? I waited for her to speak but she was just silent looking at both of us. I could see her fighting back her tears. She finally managed to speak.
“What do you want me to say? That you look good together? Here we go! You two look good together. This is what we call couple goals.” Her words hurt more than anything else. I tried soothing her but she didn’t listen. Becky rose up to speak and her calling me her husband made me lose it and I slapped her.
She couldn’t take it anymore and she ran towards the exit and Terry followed her. I was not going to lose her over a stupid misunderstanding. I ran after them leaving Becky there calling my name. I watched them leave after her rejecting my offer to take her home. I got into the car and placed my head on the steering wheel. I let all the tears that I had been holding back. I was losing the woman I loved and it broke my heart completely. I would try my best to win her back. I would not let her go that easily. I had to go after her.
I remembered her words that it was over between us and I punched the steering wheel in frustration. How would I let her go that easily? No way! I would not lose her. One hour had already passed and I knew she was at home packing her things. I drove carelessly and left the other drivers hurling all sorts of insults and curses at me. I got home and I got shattered when I saw them packing their things into Terry’s car. I lost it completely and the next minute I was ordering Kelvin not to open the gate for anybody.
They left after Terry convincing me and I got into the house cursing. I went straight to my room and broke everything there. I was completely shattered. I had never been like that with any other woman but Jackie was different. Without her I was completely nothing. The house felt empty without Braden’s laughter and her presence. I wanted them back. I tried to sleep but I could not. Every time I turned to touch Jackie’s side on the bed I would end up cursing. Her absence made me devastated.
I woke up the following day and  went straight to work with the hope of seeing her. I took the elevator to the fourth floor and the two receptionists were just gossiping as usual. I banged their desk and they looked up in fear.
“All you do is gossip! What do I pay you for!” I bellowed at them.
“We are sorry sir!”
“I’m not done talking here young ladies. I'm giving you a three weeks compulsory leave. Pick your letters from Kate after I’m done talking to her.”
I stormed into Kate’s office and she looked up with fear.
“ Those receptionists are going on an compulsory leave for three weeks Kate. Give them the letters and have someone replace them in the meantime. Am I clear?”
“Yes sir! Are you okay sir?”
“Just do what I have said and stop asking questions.”
Everyone was pissing me off. I stormed out of her office and went to Jackie’s office. She was not there. She was not coming to work. I had guessed it right. I wasn’t going to lose her completely. I would go to Terry’s place and talk to her. Even if it meant forcing her to listen to me. I took the elevator and walked out of the building into my car. I dialed Julie’s number and she picked immediately.
“Cancel all my appointments for today Julie. I won’t be there today.”
I hanged up and drove to Terry’s place. I had called Jackie but my calls went unanswered. She had got tired of my calls and ended up switching off her phone. Her line didn’t go through. I had nagged Terry every minute asking her whether Jackie was okay. I was worried about our baby. Too much stress would lead to miscarriage. The doctor had advised us against it. I packed outside the gate waiting for her to get out but she never did. I called Terry and told her that I wanted to get in and see Jackie but she advised me against it and said that she was devastated and wouldn’t listen to me.
I didn’t leave. I wouldn’t leave until I saw her and talked to her. Kate called and I picked the call immediately.
“Yes Kate. What is it?”
“There is a problem sir. Jackie has sent a resignation letter via email. What do I do about it.”
“She is unwell but she will be back. Don’t replace her.”
I hit the steering wheel in frustration. I was losing her completely. I called Dave and told him everything. Maybe he would help. Maybe he would try and convince her to hear me out.