CHAPTER TWO

It all started when Victoria got a job in Nairobi. She had no place to stay. Being my best friend, I thought giving her accommodation was the best thing for both of us. After all we would have a chance to gossip .we were like sisters. I talked to Mike and he had no issue with it. We had been married for three years and he had always done everything to make me happy.

I had resigned my job after him promising that he would take care of Braden and me. We had agreed that I would stay home to take care of our son. I had suggested that we take a house help but it didn’t auger well with him. He didn’t want his son to be brought up by a house help. Anyway, being the submissive wife I agreed to his proposal.
Life was so sweet with Vickie around. Gossiping is all we did when she was free. She helped me with the house chores and it made everything easier for me. Everything was perfect until the unthinkable happened.
I had gone upcountry to visit my parents and I left Mike and Vickie in the house. I didn’t feel insecure about it because I knew that nothing could happen between them. Vickie was not like other ladies. I was to go back to my place on a Friday but I went back on a Wednesday without informing Mike and Vickie. I wanted to surprise them. Throughout my visit, my communication with both of them was not strained. Mike always called to tell me how much he loved me and how he missed me so I wanted to surprise him.
I opened the door and there was no one in the sitting room. I knew that both of them were at work until I walked towards my bedroom and heard some giggling. The door was open and I decided to tiptoe not to disturb Mike. Maybe he was on phone. The door was already opened and I decided to peep. What I saw made me choke with tears. Mike was busy having sex with another woman. Tears clouded my eyes and I let them flow freely.
I watched them having sex and they seemed lost in each other. All that could be heard were their moans and giggles. They hadn’t noticed that there was a stranger in the room. I was lucky that my son was tightly held in my hands. I held him more tightly and clutched the door for more support. I finally found my voice.
“What the hell is happening here Mike?” I asked amidst tears. They both got startled and jumped out of the bed. I couldn’t believe my eyes. The woman shagging with my husband was Vickie.
“What! Vickie!! Are you kidding me?”
I placed Braden on the baby cot and waited for an explanation. They both looked confused and Vickie’s hair was in a mess.
“Why did you come early Jackie? You were supposed to come on Friday?”
“Oooh! So am now not supposed to come to my house as I please? What’s the difference between today and Friday? Why? Why did you have to do this to me? You of all the other people Vickie? You are like a sister to me.”
“Sorry you had to find it out in such a way!” Mike answered shamelessly.
“ I can’t believe you had the audacity to do this to me Vickie! You are like a sister to me! You know what we will do, just pack your things and get out of my house!”
They both looked at me without showing any surprise and Vickie sneered.
“She is going nowhere Jackie! She is here to stay! Maybe you are the one who should go. I love her and I won’t lose her over you.”
I couldn’t believe what Mike had said. Where would I go? How would I go back to my parents' house? What would people say? What would my neighbors upcountry say? I was sure it would be the juiciest gossip there. They always marveled at someone’s misfortune. I was totally confused. I didn’t know what I would do. I didn’t know where I would go.
“ I can see how troubled you are. I will offer you some help. You can stay but if you can’t stand Vickie then you can leave. It’s your choice!”
He held Vickie by the waist. Vickie gave me a sarcastic smile. They were still shamelessly naked. What was I supposed to do? I had resigned from my job and I  didn’t know where I would start from if I chose to walk out of my marriage. Mike gave me a calm look. This is the man I loved with all my life but he had chosen someone else over me. He was obviously waiting for me to make a decision. I decided to stay. Not for me but for my son. Maybe my marriage would go back to normal after sometime.
“I will stay! Please don’t throw us out!” I was now kneeling down literally begging him.
“It’s okay! We are going out with Vickie. We will take our dinner outside. Don’t bother making us dinner. We will be okay.”
They dressed up and left without even bathing. I looked at my son sleeping peacefully with no knowledge of what was going on. I pitied him. I folded into myself and cried uncontrollably. I cried for my son. He didn’t deserve that. He was too young for that. I let the tears flow freely. That was the beginning of my troubles.