Part Two - Chapter Three

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Jack

One week from trial. 

Not sleeping. Numb. Forgot to eat yesterday. 

This morning, stopped at a greasy spoon restaurant for breakfast. Two eggs "Sunny Side Up!" I love just saying "Sunny Side Up". Makes me smile. Makes me think I can kick the shit out of all the assholes. 

This place is run by an old hippy client of ours. Born in Detroit. His original 1960s vinyl LPs are playing. Jimi Hendrix. In fragments, under the guitar, I can hear two young hippy waitresses debating whether they can manage their boyfriends' fidelity with blow jobs. 

Finishing my tea. My watch says I'm late. Need to go! 10 AM to midnight on a Sunday at the office. One week till jury trial.

How are you doing, Ceci?

Ceci

You are in the zone. Enjoy it!!

Saw this and made fried eggs up, sprinkled with curry powder and seasoning mix on pumpernickel toast topped with garden tomatoes.

Feeling good too!!

Jack

Sounds delicious. In my mind, even looks delicious.

Great to hear you are feeling good.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Jack

In the winter of 2005, Floyd, age 20, was living in his car in the mountains, somewhere south of Vail. 

A vicious blizzard moved in from the North. His survival instincts took over and he was able to mooch his way into a crash pad of young men and riff raff. He couch surfed through the night in a deep, deep sleep until 4:00 AM, when police and DEA agents busted into the place in a no-knock raid. Floyd and a dozen others were arrested and taken to jail. 

After a couple days, police put 2 and 2 together, realized Floyd was not involved and released him without charges. However, after Floyd was back on the streets, newspapers reported that the bust was the biggest in County history. Over $5 million in cash and drugs (meth), and an entire drug lab. Police also told the press they were looking to re-contact Floyd. 

He drove to his parent's in Louisiana. He has never returned.

Twelve years later, Floyd contacted us to see if the record of his arrest could be sealed. It was causing him problems with college and work. We discussed the risk of awakening the sleeping dogs of the DEA and police. But he and his family decided to go forward.

So, this morning, I drove to a little mountain Courthouse.