Prequel

Dedicated to our friends,

@BG_Davies and his work Seduction in D Minor, @Mestrin, Coffee Talk, and @Crime, criminal minds 

Our band had been on the road playing shows for months.

For Earth Day 1990, we were booked to headline a show at the University of California-Berkeley. It seemed like a decent gig. We looked forward to it.

That night, our crowd began to fill the Student Union as a local band played an opening set. The opening band was some kind of white-boy dreadlocked combo. A little too earnest, a little too precious, and huge on the ego.

When it came time for them to finish their set, they kept on playing.  Stage managers moved to get them off.  They kept on playing. Threats were made.  They kept on playing. Management cut their power. They walked off with their fists held high, leaving their equipment and instruments on stage. Evidently, they felt that our band, the headliner, should clear their equipment and load it out. 

Our band, from Detroit, Michigan, was composed of road-worn veterans. Professionals. We carefully moved their equipment off the stage, out to the alley, and into dumpsters, down sewers, and some smaller pieces were thrown onto roofs.  As the openning band celebrated at the bar, we continued to "move" their equipment until there was nothing left. 

After our show, as we drove out of the Bay Area, the only piece of their equipment that remained was a bass drum thumper hanging as a trophy from our rear-view mirror.

[⭐Vote for justice!]

Photo: Concert Crowd by Free-Photos, 2014 (Pixabay #1149979).