Powerless

*Justin's POV*

"This is it," I thought as we stared down Director X, our hands intertwined.

"Erin worked so hard to free us both, and now that freedom is going to be ripped away from us again."

Thinking about being imprisoned and kept away from Erin made me angry.

Usually, when I get angry, I'm lethal to be around.

But now, getting upset was just an emotion instead of a catastrophic event.

In the midst of everything going on, I felt happy being completely normal for once.

And that happiness made me wish that I could be a human permanently.

I gazed directly into the director's eyes, my frustration intensifying.

"This is just another one of his games," I reminded myself.

But for some reason, I had the strange notion that he could help me get what I wanted.

"Don't buy into his tricks."

"I'm not going to let you take Erin away from me again," I growled, wrapping my arms around her protectively.

"I'm tired of you trying to separate us, and I'm tired of you hurting me!"

I charged forward, rushing towards the director in sheer rage.

I grabbed his shirt, shaking him angrily.

"Let us go!" I growled.

"Not a chance," he muttered.

"You're not leaving until I get what I want."

He glimpsed the anger in my expression, and a sly smirk spread across his face.

"If I don't listen to you, what are you going to do about it?" he asked, chuckling in a mocking way.

I put my hand around his neck, lifting him into the air.

"I'd...watch t-that temper if I-I were you...you might do s-something you regret," he gagged.

Before I could respond, armed men flooded into the area from all sides.

"No..." I thought, looking at the men that surrounded us.

"I will not be a prisoner again."

Without thinking, I dropped the director and grabbed Erin's hand, bolting in the first direction I could.

There was no response from the men until the director gave them a command.

"What are you waiting for?" he shouted.

"Fire! Do not shoot to kill!"

Gun fire broke out, Erin and I being the sole targets of at least fifty weapons.

Fortunately, we were able to round the corner before either of us got shot, but the men followed us.

Ahead of us, emergency doors were being closed to block our escape.

With the combination of quick thinking and determination on my side, I kicked a metal crate between the doors.

"Erin, when I say jump, you jump, okay?" I glanced back at her, desperate for this to work.

She nodded.

"Three..."

The doors were getting closer.