Heroism

*Justin's POV*

Did Erin really just ask me to bite her?

She couldn't have.

I stared at her, and she sat there, eyes closed, patiently waiting for me to put my fangs to her neck.

She really wants me to do this.

I leaned forward, preparing to take a bite of her.

I can finally get a taste of her sweet blood.

But before I could press my fangs into her neck, something stopped me.

Guilt.

I wouldn't do it.

If I bit Erin, there was a bigger possibility that she could die instead of turning into a vampire, and it was too much risk for me to take.

I care about her far too much to take such a chance with her life.

"I-I can't do it..." I whispered.

"I promised not to hurt you..."

Erin opened her eyes, looking at me in an expression caught between relief and disappointment.

She buried her head into her knees and didn't say anything.

The scratching on the outside of the closet intensified.

"We're going to die in this closet," she whispered after a few minutes.

Sobs echoed from her.

I didn't reply right away.

"No we're not," I mumbled, mustering the strength to wrap my arms around her and give her a solid hug.

I lifted her chin and forced her to stare into my eyes.

I know I'm too weak to fight, but if Erin's safety was at risk, then I'd glady put my life on the line for her.

"Erin," I murmured.

"We're going to get through this. I'm not going to allow anything to hurt you. So please, open the closet door..."

She gawked at me as if I was insane.

She shook her head.

"No, Justin you can't go out there like that," she said.

"You're too weak to fight, especially on your own. I won't let you do this."

"And...get killed?" I stumbled through my sentence.

"No way."

*Erin's POV*

Justin hefted his arms up and pulled the closet door open.

I tried to hold him back but he shrugged me off of his body.

"Think about what you're doing-" I started to say.

But he got to his feet anyway, and I could see the pain on his face as he stood to face the monster.

"Wish me luck," he gave me a small smile before closing the closet door again.

"No!" I screamed, trying to follow him out of the closet.

My efforts were of no use.

He had locked me inside.

"Justin, you can't do this, you'll be killed!" I shouted, pounding against the closet door.

He didn't answer me, which made me worry.

A loud thud sounded, and a sudden force against the closet door shook the entire room.

The sound of Justin groaning followed the thud, and I threw my entire body weight on the door.

It still wouldn't budge.

More noises came from outside of my temporary prison, then dead silence followed.

"You will never, ever hurt Erin as long as I'm here!" Justin yelled, and an echoing hiss from the monster.

The closet opened, and Justin stood in front of me triumphantly.

Behind him, the beast lay motionless on the ground.

It's dead...he defeated it.

Justin's skin was even more pale than usual - it was almost translucent.

His eyes were exhausted and clearly expressing pain.

Bruises and blood blanketed his arms, and a rip in his shirt exposed another gash on his chest.

A long cut on his face dripped with blood.

He appeared to be even weaker than before he left me in the closet.

In short, Justin looked awful, yet he still managed to survive the beast.

But I know he isn't okay.

What he's doing is dangerous.

He's trying to play the hero and be strong for me.

However, he doesn't realize that if he keeps doing this sort of thing, he could get fatally hurt and die.

He extended an arm to me, trying to help me to my feet.

I was almost afraid to take it, now knowing and understanding that he could kill without weaponry.

I made up my mind to accept his hand, but before I could, the beast stirred and got up.

It let out a roar, and Justin turned around.

But not quick enough.

The creature stabbed him in his side with its sword-like claws.

He gasped and fell to the ground.

I rushed to his side immediately, cradling him in my arms.

The monster's movement ceased once again, but this time it dissolved to dust.

"Justin?" I cried, placing my palm on his cheek.

"Justin!"

He weakly opened his eyes.

"I'll be fine...vampires regenerate quickly..." He gave me a frail smile.

That must have been why he was able to fight the beast although he was injured.

Tears threatened to fall from my eyes.

I didn't care how fast vampires could regenerate, I wanted him to stop risking his life for me.

It sounded like something stupid to desire, but Justin had no idea how much I worried when he tried to protect me.

To have him stand in harm's way just so I didn't get hurt was hard to witness.

I want to protect him for a change.

That's the end of Part 15 :)
Comment what you think!