Chapter 23

Theo POV

I was about to take a risk today. But I had too, Collae wasn't going to do it. Collae told me her nana sent her to the store so now was my chance. Let's hope all goes well. I was going to keep to old school and ask her permission to the formal myself and then eventually break it to her that we are dating but baby steps.

"Hello, Miss Hart?" I greeted her nana who resembled Collae a lot.

"It's Miss Ekua, Hart is my son in law...can I help you?"

"Yes, I'm Theodore Da Silva and I wanted to talk to you about Collae?" I was really nervous, she may have been old but very intimidating, "May I come in?"

"No," she chuckled, "You can talk from out there."

"Okay...um-well, I really like your grand daughter and I'm asking if you would allow me to take her to the winter formal," She laughed again.

"Wait- let me get this right hold up," she thought for a moment, "you..."she scanned me up and down with her eyes, "Wants to date my Collae?"

"Yes ma'am," I nodded.

"And she likes you as well?"

"I hope she does..." I chuckled nervously.

"How old are you?" And boom, there's the question. I couldn't build this relationship with her by lying so I told her the truth.

"Eighteen..." she smirked and slammed the door in my face, "Um...Miss Ekua?"

"Theodore what the fuck are you doing here?" Collae whispered. I turned around and chuckled nervously.

"See," I scratched my neck, "I tried talking to nana, let's just say she might know you like me and I like you and that...I'm eighteen."

"Theo are you dumb! This ain't no fucking movie where all goes well!" She shouted, "Now every time I asked to leave the house she's gonna think it was to be with you!"

"It was though...why lie?" I shrugged.

"Theo," she laughed, "My nana and your parents are not the same okay? Just go home, I have to deal with this now."

Before I could respond her grandma opened the door.

"Collae get your fast ass behind in this house, Theodore... I better not see you over here again!" Collae looked at me angrily and all I could do was mouth I was sorry. I walked to my car and drove back to school.

~~~

"Tommy," I sighed, "I think I fucked up." We were in calculus.

"It was only a matter of time until you cheated on her," he shrugged.

"What? No Thomas, you dumbass, I went to see her grandma," I huffed.

"Why'd you see her grandma and not her parents," he laughed, "that's kinda weird."

"Because her parents are dead idiot and she lives with her grandma," my nostrils flared.

"Oh... that's sad, I'm sorry I didn't know, but how'd you fuck up?" He stopped doing his work.

"Yeah please keep it that way, I told her nana-that's what she calls her grandma, my age, and basically she likes me back."

"I don't get how you fucked up? Well besides the age part," he continued working, "I could see how she would be upset by that."

"Because, when Collae tells her grandma that she's going out to one of her friends it's usually me and now she's going to find out Collae's been lying," I groaned.

"Dude, it's her grandma, you're worrying too much, I'm sure Collae's fine," he waved me off.

"Yeah but her grandma is scary, and her only guardian, if she says Collae can't see me, Collae's going to listen because she loves and respects her too much."

"Well then you'll just have to try harder, get granny to like you, and earn your trust" he shrugged.

"And how the fuck do I do that?

"You're a smart guy, I'm sure you'll figure it out," he patted my shoulder, "Now can I get back to work?"

~~~

I texted Collae asking if everything was alright and she didn't respond. I really wanted to sneak in but I knew she didn't want to see me right now. How could I get her nana to like me? My simple idea was to just be honest with her.

I went to basketball practice and as soon as it was over I went to Collae's house. I knocked on the door and a curtain moved a little. Her nana opened the door angrily and I smiled.

"Didn't I tell you not to come back here!" She waved a finger in my face.

"Please Miss Ekua, let me explain," I begged. She put her hand on her hip.

"We'll go ahead, I don't know what you expect to get from me." she hissed at me.

"To date Collae," I smiled.

"You're probably one of those white people who fetishize over having sex with black women," she grumbled.

"No-no it's not even like that!" My voice raised, "I really like her, I would never take advantage of her or use her."

"You're eighteen Theodore, "she scoffed, "you're graduating in June, my baby has two more years of high school, I don't need you messing around with her and distracting her, as soon as you graduate, you'll just break her heart." I see why Collae thinks the way she does.

"No," I chuckled, "I won't, I plan on going away for school but that doesn't mean I'd leave Collae for that, your granddaughter truly makes me happy and I can't just let her slip from me."

"Theodore, I respect that you have a future ahead, but I know how college is, parties, girls, fraternities, etcetera... you're going to want to socialize, Collae would be holding you back. It's better to end things now before she gets too attached, I'm sure you know she's already had her heart broke before she doesn't need to again in other way." Her nana started to close the door and I put my foot in to stop her. I got on one knee.

"Miss Ekua..." I sighed, "I really like Collae, she's different, I am not interested in any of that, I'm going to play basketball, and be a future buisnessman like my father, I want to be with Collae, I promise you that I will not break her heart, I promise that I won't just leave, I promise I'll be the best man I can be with your blessing?"

"Do you know how hard it'll be to be with a black woman?"

"It shouldn't be," I stood up.

"Oh but it will be, if you're ignorant it won't work, people will judge you guys and say just the nastiest things, is that what you want?"

"I'm willing to stand up for our relationship, and the people who talk crap about us won't bother me, because in my heart I know what me and Collae's relationship is."

"Theodore," she huffed, "you're lucky I care about my baby's happiness, if you make her happy than I'm happy, if you break your promises I can't do nothing about that, I just want you to think about Collae, she's a sensitive girl."

"Of course Miss Ekua!" I was mentally cheering, "So...Can I see Collae?"

"No," she laughed and slammed the door in my face. I'll just sneak in later hehe.