Prologue

It was March 26, 2007, I was playing with the new toy I had just received for my birthday three days prior. It was a stuffed teddy bear wearing red pajamas outlined in white.

The second I saw him you could see my eyes glimmer with joy and practically see the happiness radiating off of me. I was ten at the time. My only friend down here being Harry, the bear I had gotten for my birthday many years ago.

My mom was watching TV and my dad had gone to the market in town when her program cuts off and "EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM" is displayed on the screen followed by a frantic announcement, "This is the Wartime Broadcasting Service. There is a current nuclear war going on. This is not a drill. We inform you to please stay in your homes or find any sort of shelter and stay calm. Gather your food, water, anything necessary and find a place to hide. Leaving your homes could expose you to great danger and wou..."

My mother had turned off the TV cutting the announcement short and was rushing back and forth throughout the house and the cellar grabbing clothes, food, water, anything she could get her trembling hands on. Everything seemed to be going frame by frame, my mother grabbing supplies, running out the door, coming back in, rinse and repeat. My mother came to me in such a rush of fear and panic that I didn't even notice I had been placed in our cellar.

A piercing noise was heard from a distance and then a bright-blinding light, next thing I know the cellar door slams shut leaving me cowering in fear, silently crying in the cellar, alone. Never would I have thought my life would change in such little time, to have to go through the death of my parents, friends and the loneliness I have been going through is dreadful.