Chapter 22

Grayson's POV

I didn't know what to say, I just saved his life as well he to I but I was too shocked to say anything. This is the first person I've seen ever since I left that cellar and he ends up getting attacked by some man in a uniform with a gun.

Would that man have killed me? What were his intentions, who was he, was he the good guy in all this and I ended up helping the villain in this situation? Would he have tried and killed me if he found me before the boy in my hold? Did he know the boy? He said some things about how he couldn't get away from them, so there were more like him?

After around ten minutes had passed by of crying his sobs had died down to small hiccups as he still clung strongly onto me. He sniffed slightly every now and then. It went silent for a moment, soon being disturbed by the soft snores coming from the boy in my arms.

I scooted back against the wall as he ever so gently slid down my body, he snuggled up against me with a groan, going limp again with his head now on my lap as he slept peacefully.

I stroked his head, running my fingers through his dark brown locks that lay stiff on his head as I took a closer look at him.

His cheek was smushed up against my thighs, lips slightly puckered up with a slight drool that cascaded the side of his pink lips. There were bags beneath his eyes of a dark purple hue, his clothes were faintly torn, dirt and grass stains littered his body accompanied with cuts and bruises that scarred his fair skin. The different colors of blues, purples, greens and red all contrast against his skin making them stand out more clear to the eye.

After taking in his tired-worn out features I lean my head back against the wall, cradling Ethan's head with tender hands as I drift off to sleep.

~•~

Ethan's POV

'ETHAN HELP!' Someone yells off in the distance, I turn left and right, in the middle of a street with no one around, 'Hello' I yell wanting to help the person in need.

'You didn't help me' 

'What?' I asked in confusion as I kept looking around, the sky becoming darker as the houses and forest were beginning to fade into the darkness.

'You let me die, you killed me...'

'Bryant?' I asked weakly

Nothing but silence followed as the dark engulfed me, making me feel empty and worthless, alone.

I turn around and see Bryant's body on the floor, blood forming a puddle around him. His eyes shift to meet my gaze 'This is your fault' he said as tears rolled down his cheeks. 'I hate you'

I woke up breathing heavily as I stared out through windows into the nature of the world. My nose was stuffy and my cheeks felt hard and dry, I felt my cheeks to come to a chafing feel of dried tears.

I sniffed as I looked around, I was in the towns school, I killed a man and saved that boy.

I scrunched up my eyebrows and looked down to see jeans, I looked up to see the face of a sleeping boy.

I slowly rose trying not to wake him up, I held out my hands for support on either side of him, feeling slightly weak my elbow gave out but caught myself before falling on him, he stirred in his sleep and as I went to get up he opened his eyes to be faced with me right in front of him.

We stared at one another, silent as we breathed shallowly, a blush spread across his cheeks, I quickly got up on my feet and dusted myself off.

I held out my hand to help him up. He held a hard gaze at my hand finally taking it getting lifted up as he gave a short nod and looked down.

A long silence followed, "thank you" I stated weakly, breaking the silence.

"What?" He questioned.

"For saving me back there with the man and all, thanks"

"Yeah... thanks... you know for saving me too"

"So um, I'm Ethan, you?"

"Grayson" he said as he held out his hand for me to shake.

I took his hand as we gave a short shake, I gave a short nod and an awkward silence replaced the atmosphere.

"Do you know what he wanted, why he tried to hurt you?"

I explained to him everything about the people and what they were trying to achieve. He questioned me about the war and I had to go through all of that with him as well.

"Who's Bryant, where is he?" He asked.

I teared up at the thought, his dead body and cries for help replaying in my head like a film.

"He was my best friend, they got to him a couple towns back, almost got me too but I managed to escape, he was good person" my voice faltering towards the end.

I quickly wiped my face before any more tears fell.

"If he was here do you think there's more?"

"Most likely, we're you the one staying back at the town?"

"Yeah why?"

"Let's go, we need to leave, they're probably looking for him"

We gathered our things and headed back to the town.