Chapter 38

Grayson's POV

A couple weeks have passed, Ethan and I have been doing well, we weren't allowed to go out with everyone else until we had done two weeks of training, mostly just endurance and learning how to improve our aim. How to handle a hand held weapon and some other minor things.

We were taught some about nature, the harmful plants and what to do if we were ever in a situation where we were split up from the main group. How to find the base, what's safe and not, what to do if we find someone, whether they're a survivor or one of the others, just some basic necessities that we needed to know.

We've gotten to know some people around the town, our neighbors are very nice, an old couple with their granddaughter, the couple told us that her parents were out to the next town over for some business and that's when everything happened, they never came back, the scavengers searched all areas close to our town for any survivors and only a couple handfuls were left, her parents not being some of the few.

We were just heading down to the one of many mini markets a couple blocks down from our apartment building. As we arrived the middle aged couple running the fruit market waved at us from a distance.

"Hey Grayson, Ethan, how have you two been?" Asked Maria

"We've been good, just coming down to do our weekly groceries, the two of you, doing well I suppose?" I asked as I kept a gentle smile

"Yes, amazing as usual, the crops are doing well, healthy and strong"

"Ok, well we need to hurry, we promised the Johnsons we'd make dinner today and invite them over"

We collected our supply of food, conversing in some small talk along the way, and headed back to our apartment to prepare the dinner.

~•~

After a great time of laughs and talk of the past and present Ethan and I had finished our dinner of chicken Alfredo, breadsticks and some mousse for dessert. We set the table, halfway through Ethan leaving to call over our guests.

The table was set with a serving for each plate, two baskets of breadsticks on each side of the table and the mousse back in the kitchen ready to be served when ready.

Greeting everyone once they came in we all sat down and enjoyed our meal.

We talked about times of the past, before coming here, what it was like to stay hidden from the world for however long we did, before all that happened with the world, how little Michelle was doing in school. Long after all the food was over we stayed there in our seats talking for hours, enjoying what we had right now, while we still can.

~•~

The family of three left, Michelle leaving behind her stuffed bear next to our own family of Zayn, Harry and Bryant, making a mental note to return it to her tomorrow morning.

We cleaned up the dishes, putting everything away and clearing off the table.

Ethan and I decided to retire early and head off to bed, under the sheets in one another's arms we laid as we slowly slipped from consciousness.

~•~

A rumble took over the bed as it shook me awake. Everything dark and silent I closed my eyes and laid back down, orange-red lights took over the room for a couple seconds as a loud boom accompanied with gun fires sounded from all directions.

I clambered out of bed, Ethan following as we both got dressed in a frantic speed.

"They broke the walls down, they're coming in!" Ethan called out as I turned to see him pressed against the window staring down at the catastrophe that occurred below.

Running out we grabbed our guns and ready to go bags they made us have for situations like these. As we're about to head downstairs we hear gun fires from the lower levels, people's screams for help and footsteps of people running, dropping dead to the floor.

Stepping back we see some couple of people dressed head to toe in body armor with guns held in their arms, running back as we shoot there way turning into the first apartment door we could.

"Ethan, Grayson!"

"Oh gosh, are you all ok"

"What's going on?"

"The-"

The sound of a grenade knocks everyone off their feet as dust and smoke obscures our vision, running to their living room I look out of all the windows seeing one held a trash bin below with some scraps. Grabbing the bottom I lift the window all the way up, tearing off the black liner for bugs and hang my legs off the ledge, throwing out my bag before turning back to the four

"I'm gonna jump down, after I land follow after and I'll be there just in case" I called out as I turn and slip out, falling several feet before landing in a couple trash bags and furniture pieces that hurt but was bearable.

Looking around the town is set ablaze, buildings destroyed, people laid out flat as they bleed out.

Turning back looking up I see Ethan holding out Michelle as far as he can go before dropping her into my arms, setting her aside i turn back as Michelle's mother is next to fall, her petite frail body being easy to catch and settle down next to Michelle as she comforted her.

Looking back up I see no one, after seconds of waiting I start to worry when a black shadowed figure tumbled out of the window right next to me, turning around I see it's Ethan as he groans and aims his gun back at the door firing a couple shots before trying to stand back up.

"Come on..." Ethan mumbles as he staggers out of the trash, grabbing Michelle from her mother and helping her out next

"But what abou-"

Ethan shakes his head and grabs me as he hulls me up and over. A whimper escapes from the deceased mans wife as Michelle stands there confused.

After we're all settled and not seeing anyone in sight we walk with careful-quick steps to an opening in the wall, probably from a grenade.

A couple feet away, Michelle in my arms as we run to our escape. A thud sounds from behind as three shots follow, turning back I see Michelle's mom laid out on the ground, blood flowing out of a hole in her head as Ethan rushes up to us, pressing his hand against my back as we kept running, climbing over the leftover ruble of wall and out to our escape leaving the town we once lived in.

(Not Edited)