Chapter 31

Ethan's POV

I walk over to Grayson, placing my hand on his shoulder asking if he's ok, he mumbles an 'I'm fine' and shrugs on his backpack. I hesitate but dismiss it, deciding to give him some space and time after having to kill two people today, he's probably stressed, traumatized from what he had to do.

I get the map from my bag, finding where we are I decide where to head to next, we talked about this a couple days ago in bed, we're heading up to Canada.

We decided to go to Canada because it's an allied force to America, the people there won't try and kill us if we do find any, close to where we are, and seems the safest, leaving America seems best since their main plan was to attack and eradicate America.

As we decided the next town to go to it was pretty far, we decided to stay the night and leave the next morning.

~•~

Waking up we had breakfast, talked some and packed our stuff, leaving through the front door. Leaving we weren't exactly ready for the long journey that laid before us, rounding a corner of a building we stopped, the car was still there.

We had completely forgotten they came in a car, after everything that happened yesterday we kind of just rested right after.

Running up to it pulling on the handles to find the car locked, going to the back the trunk, it was locked too.

I quickly ran to the back of the building, where I killed the man yesterday, searching his pockets I didn't find the keys. We ran back to the house searching the other mans pockets to find the keys looped around his waist, unhinging the keys from his belt loop.

We got back to the car, unlocking the doors and throwing our bags in the back, sitting in the drivers seat as Grayson sat passenger side. I was driving since I was older, none of us know how to drive but I decided I would be the one to try, Grayson didn't want to either, scared and tired from the events of yesterday.

Grayson was in charge of the map as I drove, I turned the key, revving the engine as I took hold of the wheel, I was scared, I'd never driven and didn't want anything to happen.

I changed it from parking to drive, slowly pushing down on the gas as the car moved ever so slowly.

"Can you go faster?" Grayson complained

"It's my first time Grayson, could you hold on and let me get used to it"

After going around the town once and just playing with the speed a little I went towards the exit, on our way to the next town.

~•~

Driving was hard, Grayson kept getting frustrated with me as I to him too, we kept going through the wrong exits making me reverse which sucked, got lost a couple times and Grayson kept complaining about my speed. At least there were no other drivers so I didn't have to follow the rules of the road and be careful.

After about an hour and a half later we had arrived, we parked semi far away from the entrance to check out the area before driving in afterwards. I parked the car off road in a small opening in the forest, we broke some branches placing them around the car, tossing some leaves on the ground to hide the car as best as we could.

Holding onto our bag straps we stay stood, taking a breath as we finished hiding the vehicle.

After hearing the little click from pressing the lock button on the key we walked along the path to the town. We left some things from our bag in the car just in case and had our guns strapped on the crook of our necks.

With a quick pace we headed up the road to the town, searching the place took some time but after identifying that the place was rid of anyone we walked back to the car.

It was early afternoon, the sun a nice orange as we peeled off the shedding placed around the car. Climbing in the short ride to the house we chose was quiet, I wanted to say something, comfort Grayson but I didn't know how.

Parking on the street outside we loaded out our things, heading up the steps to the porch, going in we went straight upstairs.

There were three bedrooms, one being the master, Grayson went for one of the two little ones, seeing this hurt some but I know he just wants to be alone right now.

"Take the master bedroom, I'll sleep here" I announce, walking ahead of him, placing my bag down on the floor as I sat on the bed.

He stands there a moment before nodding his head in silence and leaving, the door shuts quietly as Grayson leaves.

I take off my shoes, placing them by the door as I lay down on the bed, looking out the window as pink, orange and purple paint the sky, a little yellow descending down as black soon takes over, the only colors painted across the canvas being the white moon, black background with dots of white dispersed around, stars.

I take my clothes off, changing into some sweats and a light long sleeve, the house was a bit cold but bearable.

The moon shines in through the window creating a small spotlight across the floor, thoughts of Grayson flash through my head as I close my eyes, sleep so inviting and comforting after everything that's happened, but it would be better to be with Grayson.

In my arms, holding hands as I kiss his tousled hair, asleep together.