Chapter 4

Grayson's POV

For the past couple of months I had started to workout, I wanted to exercise and be fit and ready for the journey I knew I would have to take soon.

I know my food and water won't last forever, I know I need to leave this place soon, probably within the next few months if i'm lucky. I would do the normal jogging around the base for at least thirty minutes to an hour as my cardio, maybe dance a little to the songs I hummed in my head.

I started by lifting some packages of food as weights to start off with and eventually escalated to now lifting the water jugs I had which were kind of heavy. Lunges, jumping jacks, squats, burpees, anything I could think of I would do whenever I felt like it.

I started to see improvements such as my biceps were growing larger, my calves and thighs had more muscle, my abdomen was more defined but no sign of abs, just flat and hard. I had more stamina and grew stronger, the time I've been down here I had grown about two inches standing at 4,9 which was pretty small for an eleven year old.

I was starting to get lean but with still some muscle, I was toning my body, growing stronger in all ways to be ready for the time I've been dreading to come. To leave.

Since I was forced out of school at such a young age I practiced everything I knew everyday to try to improve my academics. Multiplication, division, subtraction and addition. I worked on them for a couple hours a day so I wouldn't forget and improve. Had flash cards of formulas and such so I could remember. 

I had gotten really good at everything, if I was in the real world I'd be so quick I wouldn't even need a calculator. I wish I knew more things than just math. I did sometimes test myself on a little history and science here and there.

I did have some books down here that were a bit above my reading level but I would read them over and over trying to understand everything. I had Moby Dick, some Shakespeare and some other books my mom stored down here. My mom was an english teacher before she quit early on to help out my dad in farming, we lived a nice peaceful life. I would read books and create my own prompts to write about, and just random things I could think of to write essays on. Like a narrative piece where we write something personal, another that was argumentative so I argued on the electoral votes and how those are unfair, and a whole bunch of other self made prompts I could come up with.

I would sometimes converse with Harry on theories I had came up with. There was a massive earthquake. An asteroid hurled towards earth. Aliens invaded our planet and successfully took us over. I had come up with a multitude of possibilities. I wonder if any of them were right?

I would talk to myself and Harry often about leaving and what we expected to be out there. What was waiting for us? Are we ready? Is there anything to be scared of? Is anything even different, or if anything even happened in the first place?

A part of me hoped something happened since it would mean my family couldn't help me and not because they just didn't want to help me and left me down here on purpose. Not that they didn't just forget me or  purposely got rid of me and put me down here to do so. I still had a little while until I left this place, Harry and I were preparing ourselves physically and mentally for the journey we eventually had to face.

We were coming to terms with what could or could not be out there, talking to each other to make sure we won't flip out if something goes wrong and just talk to each other.

Harry seemed nervous, so I tried keeping a strong facade but the more I kept it up the harder it was, I really needed my mom to hold me, to tell me everything is going to be ok. I'm scared. I don't know what's going to happen, I'm worried for the both of us, for everyone. I hope we can make it out there.