Chapter 7

Grayson's POV

I had cried myself to sleep that day, and woke up a couple hours later to find that it was still day and my eyes were sore from all the crying, puffy and red for sure with tear stained cheeks.

I sniffed and wiped my nose, picking up Harry from the ground and stroking his soft head as I then placed him back in my backpack. I strapped on my backpack and picked up the handle to my suitcase and kept walking. Away from my childhood home that no longer stood its ground.

My stomach growled as I had discovered I was hungry, pulling one of the last few granola bars I had left I unwrapped it and took a generous bite, and stuffed it back in the pocket. I walked around until I spotted the dirt road that lead to the small town near my house.

I followed it even though I doubted there was anything left but crumbled down buildings. As I walked along the path I tried to make light of my situation, I was still alive at least, healthy, smart, maybe they weren't dead, maybe there was still a whole bunch of people that have settled at the town and have made their own community, maybe i'm not alone.

But as soon as the town came into view I didn't see a community of people there, but instead buildings torn up and scattered everywhere, everything looked terrible, like a tornado had passed by and took out the whole town, I wonder what happened? What happened to my house, the trees, this town, everything! Was what happened really that bad?

I kept walking closer to the town in hopes to find any left over food or anything of use I could take. As I walked around the town I used to come to every once in a while with my parents to buy something we couldn't get from our farm.

I sang along to the 1986 song "Dont Dream Its Over" while walking up to what once stood as the supermarket. "There is freedom within, there is freedom without, trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup," I continued as I entered the building through a hole in the wall.

Most of everything was crushed by parts of the building that had fallen onto it. There were some snacks here and there on the floor, most molded over or just gross.

I did manage to find some snacks that seemed edible enough to eat. I packed everything I found there and left.

I walked across from building to building looking for anything that could be of use to me. I had entered a few homes in search of some clothes that fit me better seeing as my clothes were a bit too tight and my fathers old clothes were too big. I had managed to find some jeans, shorts, sweats, shirts, a little bit of everything that fit enough to be comfortable with.

I had finally finished searching all of the buildings that were safe enough to enter. The sun was setting and I was contemplating where to go to use as a temporary shelter for the night. I decided on Mr and Mrs Brooks house for it was the most stable and put together house left.

I entered in through the front door and sat down on the couch releasing a breath of exhaustion. I had laid my head down on the cushion to rest for a moment and ended up falling into a much needed deep sleep.