Chapter 14

Ethan's POV

February 24, 2008

We prolonged the journey as long as we could, barely ate or drank anything in hopes to last as long as possible. But the time has come, Bryant is organizing all the food and water, placing everything neatly into our bags.

I on the other hand was grabbing clothes, blankets, and any other things we would need like candles, lighter, first aid kit and things like that.

We just finished our parts in collecting everything we needed and placed it all in our bags. We did one last check around the place to make sure we didn't miss anything and we were all set.

Some food and water was placed on top of the washing machine to eat for our breakfast the next morning. Our bags were placed next to the stairs that lead to the door. With that we said goodnight and went to bed.

I was hugging Zayn close to my chest, nervous for what's to come tomorrow. Will there be anything there when we open the door tomorrow, will we die like everyone else, will it be untouched and this whole time we were fine? Everything kept zipping through my head, and all I could do was stare emotionless into the dark.

"Are you still awake" Bryant asked softly in an attempt to not wake me if I had been sleeping.

"Yes" I responded. "I'm scared Ethan, what if there's nothing out there, what if we're all alone, what are we going to do?" He asked in a distressed way. There was a long silence followed. "I don't know..." I whispered softly.

Bryant became silent after that, with the conversation dying out I closed my eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

~•~

I woke up to the noise of some rustling, I tiredly opened my eyes and turned over to see Bryant getting out of bed.

"Morning"  we greeted each other. I got out of bed stretching and rubbing the sleep out of my face. I sat there for a minute, thinking it's really it, todays the day that decides whether we live or die.

I got out of bed and padded over to the washing machine, with Bryant already eating his breakfast and joined him.

We are in silence, the both of us not knowing what to say, how to comfort one another or bring light of this nerve wracking occasion. I soon broke the silence, "We're going to be fine." Bryant looked up and into my eyes, his eyes, they held so many emotions, fright, panic, dismay, concern, curiosity, so much that flashed in those eyes of his.

Bryant nodded slightly and continued to eat his food washing it down with some water. We finished breakfast and kind of just sat there, both of us not wanting to go and trying to stay down here as long as we could.

"Maybe we should wait until tomorrow," Bryant stated nervously. "Bryant..."

"No really, it's just one more day it won't hurt, we have enough food, and water...please" he whimpered towards the end.

"We've waited long enough, we have to go, we don't know what's going to be out there, and if we will be able to find food or anything easily, we can't waste any more time, we've already waited longer than we were supposed to"

Bryant merely just looked down in defeat and stood up on his feet walking over to his backpack with uneasy legs. I followed him to my backpack and we both slung over the straps on our shoulders.

We stood there just staring at the steps, I knew Bryant didn't want to go first so I took the first step, staying there for a second with shaky breaths. Seconds later I continued up the steps looking back to make sure Bryant was following.

I stood in front of the door, taking deep-heavy breaths, with my trembling hand I reached for the door knob, enclosing my hand around it. I gingerly twisted to the left until I heard the click of the lock, telling me I could push open the door.

With a loud gulp I steadily pushed the medal door open, my breathing fast paced, heart rate increasing, not ready to see the aftermath of the war.

The door opened and I saw nothing but some shadows cascaded by the light from the moon. I fully opened the door to reveal grass, trees, flowers, everything still here, in darkness. It looked abandoned, the overgrowth of greenery surrounded the ruble of my house that barely stood now, only pieces. It looked like the colosseum in Rome, Italy.

Everything was still here, but in pieces. I teared up at the sight, knowing there must have been many casualties and not sure how many actually still survived.

Bryant had his mouth slightly open, shocked, he walked up to a part of my house that still stood, running his finger tips over the edges, like he was making sure it was really there, that he wasn't dreaming.

It was all real.