Chapter 5

Grayson's POV

September 27, 2008

It's been roughly six months since I've been down here, my rations are running low and everyday that passes I feel myself slipping more and more away from sanity. Harry seemed like the only thing keeping me from going completely insane, the only thing that reminded me of what could be out there, my last glimmer of hope radiated within him.

I was preparing myself for tomorrow for I was planning on leaving this place and going out to the world, hopefully it hasn't changed too much while I was gone. I grabbed my medium sized suitcase my mother had thrown down here the day I too was placed here in this sanctuary.

I packed all the leftover food, water, and any clothes that would fit after that. I had a backpack to, which contained a first aid kit, my notepad along with some pencils, my compass and of course Harry.

My wrist wore the watch given to me by my dad about two years ago for a "little first day of school present" he called it. I set everything up next to the stairs that lead to the door of the cellar and went to sleep with hope and nervousness for the day to come tomorrow.

~•~

    I woke up with a flutter of my eyes and a yawn accompanied by a stretch that resonated my body with the sound of my joints popping. After a few moments of lying down in bed, staring blankly at the ceiling, my mind empty of thoughts, I remembered that today was the day I was going out to see the world for the first time in a year and a half.

I instantly started to worry and contemplated whether or not I should go today or save it for another time, but I was determined to go out there, see what everything looked like, to see if my family or anybody was still out there.

I ate my breakfast which consisted of cereal with a slice of bread which I thought of as toast more now due to how stale it had gone. I gulped down the rest of my water and was ready to commence my trek.

I grabbed my backpack and swung it around my shoulders sticking my arms out through the straps and grabbed my suitcase, I started my path to the outside world.

As I walked up the steps flashes ran through my mind of the sun beaming on my body warming up my cold skin from the air conditioner in my house, the wind flowing through my hair as I stepped out, the view of trees and flowers, grass, all the beauty nature had to offer.

I made my final steps to the doors, I stood there on the last step and took a couple deep-heavy breaths. I grew more and more confident as I cautiously climbed those steps but when it came to opening the doors it seemed that all that confidence had diminished, like all that could go wrong started to come to mind.

"There's nobody out there, you're all alone, everything is gone and you will be soon as well" my mind kept filling up with negative outcomes that could come to be.

With my last exhale of a shaky breath I gripped the handle of the door, and as I did my mind went blank, everything I was thinking stopped. Silent and dark, everything stood still.

Slowly I pushed open the door, with a creak the door slowly opened and a blinding light appeared. Squinting from the harsh light I slowly clambered out of the door and once my eyes had readjusted I was shocked to see what laid before me.