Chapter Twenty Five

Soundwave, superior. Other world, inferior.

Optimus wasn't sure how to react. His servo was still held in the air in a blocking position, still in shock from what had just happened. There was a sword through his counterpart's chassis, obviously, near his spark chamber. He still wasn't sure who was wielding it. 

His counterpart grunted in pain after a few seconds of stunned silence, and the blade slowly slid back. The other Prime fell forward, landing on his knee-plates before collapsing at Optimus' pedes. Optimus slowly lowered his servo, staring at his counterpart before looking up to see who had stabbed him. 

Soundwave stood there, his visor eerily blank as he stared back. He gripped Megatron's blade tightly, energon staining the front half of it. The room was silent. Soundwave broke contact and looked down, where energon had started to form a puddle around the Prime. Optimus silently stepped back to avoid stepping in it, before carefully kneeling next to his counterpart. When the hole in his chassis stopped glowing, he knew he was gone. Primus seemed to know too, the spark glowed and pulsed multiple times in anger, and suddenly everyone snapped back into reality. Soundwave stepped closer to Optimus to avoid a tendril of energy. He exchanged a glance with Optimus before he pointed to his chest chassis. Optimus had stood by now, and nodded once in understanding. This was their best, and, really, their only, plan. Optimus sidestepped and then ducked to avoid another shot of energy. He figured as long as he didn't "search" for Primus and wasn't touched by his energy, he wouldn't be harmed. He summoned the power of the Matrix of Leadership, and the two energies clashed violently with each other. The humans watched in awe, and in worry. If this didn't work, they weren't sure anything would.

Once the energy had been released, Optimus collapsed to the ground. Ratchet moved to help, but Soundwave seemed to beat him to it, kneeling next to him and gently setting a servo on his shoulder plate. The energies continued to clash, blue and orange lighting up the room until, to everyone's relief, they both dissipated. Ratchet should have been cheering like Bulkhead and the kids. But he wasn't. During Optimus' fight, the scout's life had slipped through his digits. He had failed.

Again.

::Ratchet...thank you. Thank you for everything...please...tell Raf...tell him I love him...and I'll miss him.::

The medic held the scout's servo for a moment. His passing had been quiet. Not peaceful, but quiet enough. He knew the scout thought of the boy as a brother. It was obvious to anyone who knew them. He quietly left the scout's side to Optimus', to check on him.

"Ratchet...Soundwave...? Optimus asked once the medic had tried to get him to focus back on reality.

"Yes, Optimus," Ratchet replied, opening his mouth to speak further before Optimus sat up and raised a servo to interrupt him.

"Why did you call me that?"

Ratchet and Soundwave exchanged glances with each other, before Ratchet slowly pulled out the keycard.

"...I've had the Ark transported here by our spacebridge after I learned you had a functional one yourself," Optimus' unsettling voice played through Soundwave, before it switched to a recording of Megatron.

"...Cybertron."

Ratchet understood, though looked at the TiC in surprise.

"You would allow us to return Optimus to his normal state?"

"What?" Optimus asked in confusion. Soundwave glanced at the Prime before nodding once. Ratchet blinked in surprise. But why? He was technically the Decepticon leader since Starscream disappeared, why wouldn't he just end it now?